Rainbird's journey to Mordor

Luke Rainbird

Evening all, hoping the TF collective may be able to help a brother out.

Bit of a short notice one, but I'm off to pick up a car in Cumbria tomorrow/Friday (28/29th) and in need of somewhere roughly in the Preston area or there abouts to crash tomorrow night. A colleague is driving up as far as Preston and time dependent I'll either get a train the rest of the way tomorrow eve or Friday morning. Alternatively, somewhere near Carlisle would be good as I could get the train up to there.

Does anyone in the area have a sofa/bathtub/etc that they wouldn't mind being occupied tomorrow night? Happy to supply food and/or drinks as payment :P

Can always stop a little further down the M6 if that extends the likelihood of finding something.

Many thanks to anyone who can help!

7 hours after leaving work I am in Preston. M6 Was static for 2 hours and missed my target train by 4 minutes, not ideal! Next train not for another hour and a half, so picking car up at 2130 rather than 2000 which is a bit rubbish. May go for the all nighter home...

So I eventually got there a few hours later than originally planned. I'd kept in touch with the seller and fortunately he was more than happy for me to turn up as late as I fancied, though I still felt a bit bad pushing it back so far. Checked the car out thoroughly, all as expected with the exception of the remote fob not working every time (may be as simple as a dead battery, but may be more - yet to play) but otherwise better than I'd hoped so was totally worth the log trip to collect.

20150529_060310_zps9tsoco5v.jpg

Squared him away with some funds and left him at around 2300 in the end. Filled the tank, taxed etc and set off through the north west to hunt down the M6 (hopefully with less gridlock by the time I reached it...) 24 hours after leaving work and around 32 hours awake I pulled in to the drive. Now sitting at just short of 40 hours with no sleep so going to cook up some easy scran and crash out early tonight!

Car was absolutely faultless on the long drive home. 450 miles without missing a beat and to just a smidge over half a tank - 56mpg total, 58mpg on the motorway section. Can't argue with that!

20150529_111019_zpsqghonsbq.jpg

Soph absolutely loves it, which is always a bonus, so in all it's a definite success mission (Y)

• Like 3

I've not posted in here for ages as I have nothing to say... My Micra is awesome, just keeps going and eats up the miles. Too many as it turns out, I told the insurer I would do around 3000 miles per year, and I've already done over that in 2.5 months, if I have an incident and the clock reads much more than that, are they likely to be pissy?

I've not posted in here for ages as I have nothing to say... My Micra is awesome, just keeps going and eats up the miles. Too many as it turns out, I told the insurer I would do around 3000 miles per year, and I've already done over that in 2.5 months, if I have an incident and the clock reads much more than that, are they likely to be pissy?

Don't worry about it too much.

Micras are wicked little cars. Mines been nigh on faultless in the 6 months Ive had mine and it gets abused everyday.

Thought this was the car thread, wondered where that reply went. :lol:

Mine just needs a service at some point, and the front cross member replacing as it's fairly rotten. Other than that it all seems OK though. Been right round it now and inspected pretty much all the running gear. Only bad bit at the moment is that the front crossmember is pretty rotten, but that's not the biggest job ever to replace.