Arcade with shiny things

Mark W

After having the same wheelset for the past few years, my bike's been jazzed up a bit with some fancy new bits from Hope and Spank. Finally getting to live out my Steven Hamilton chrome-look wheels dreams...

IMG_7141.jpg
IMG_7142.jpg
IMG_7143.jpg
IMG_7144.jpg
IMG_7145.jpg
IMG_7146.jpg
Thanks to Drop & Roll for the hook-up too :)
  • Like 8

and brakes :blink:=]

Indeed :) They've been on there for a while now as it happens, really having enjoying having them. I haven't even considered going brakeless again since I put them on so I think it's the right time.

Only thing I'd really change about them is possibly the front caliper - it's an E4 caliper and I'm not overly keen on it.

This frame is a prototype that Ali and I (and Sean I think?) have been riding for a while now. There was talk of that clamp going on the new Arcade frames (the red ones), but they opted for the simpler integrated version from the V1 frame instead. I quite like it though - nice and neat :) It did spawn the sweet seat stay bridge that features on the new frames though so it's been worth it ;)

Line up "ish" - seems the Spank factory aren't all that on it with their logo alignment compared to Conti. These ones are direct from Spank though, courtesy of the fine people at Drop & Roll. They're Spike Evo rims rather than the Stiffy rims, so they're a bit thinner but a fair bit lighter.

I had the E4s front and rear, but it just didn't have the power for the rear. I tried a couple of different pads, but then switched to the Trial Zone with Jitsie pads combo and it was a beast straight away. The E4 up front gives nice modulation, but it feels fairly underpowered - it's like the power comes on as you start pulling the lever but quite quickly reaches a point where pulling harder doesn't really translate to extra power. With the Shimano 4-pot brakes you can really feel the power ramp up, but these are pretty 'meh'. I'd be tempted to go for the same Trial Zone caliper/Jitsie (well, Trialtech) pads up front combo but I think glazing pads might then start being an issue.

• Like 1

I was pretty amazed at how smoothly the new hubs roll. My old front and rear hubs were about 4-5 years old by the time I stopped using them so the bearings were probably a little bit worn, but riding around this week has felt like I've almost got a tail-wind because of how much I'm keeping speed. That's even with a pair of brand new tyres on there too compared to my worn old ones.

I had the E4s front and rear, but it just didn't have the power for the rear. I tried a couple of different pads, but then switched to the Trial Zone with Jitsie pads combo and it was a beast straight away. The E4 up front gives nice modulation, but it feels fairly underpowered - it's like the power comes on as you start pulling the lever but quite quickly reaches a point where pulling harder doesn't really translate to extra power. With the Shimano 4-pot brakes you can really feel the power ramp up, but these are pretty 'meh'. I'd be tempted to go for the same Trial Zone caliper/Jitsie (well, Trialtech) pads up front combo but I think glazing pads might then start being an issue.

yea i suppose with the E4's being DH brakes they wer always gonna act differently. long as the trial zones work well i didnt realise it was a tial zone at first glance but that jus me being a muppet haha

yea i suppose with the E4's being DH brakes they wer always gonna act differently. long as the trial zones work well i didnt realise it was a tial zone at first glance but that jus me being a muppet haha

They're kind of a lighter version of their DH brakes (as they're the Enduro model so kind of made to be more of an all-rounder type brake as far as I'm aware) so that might explain the lack of power compared to the Magura or Shimano brakes. In fairness, the only time it's really an issue is when I don't commit to front enough so me being less shit would mean that them being a touch under-powered wouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed :) They've been on there for a while now as it happens, really having enjoying having them. I haven't even considered going brakeless again since I put them on so I think it's the right time.

Only thing I'd really change about them is possibly the front caliper - it's an E4 caliper and I'm not overly keen on it.

You may have to re-think going back to brakeless after viewing the latest vid from James Barton

• 2 weeks later...