Kerb Komp 2015

bikeperson45

It’s been a while so I’m thinking we should give this a go again, I’ve altered some rules to hopefully spruce stuff up a bit. Since everyone has lives or whatever it’ll be a two month deadline, so videos should be submitted before and on Sunday 2nd August and 100% no extensions there.

Any entries (because there better be some) should be posted inside of this topic, preferably youtube or vimeo but as long as the video can be streamed online it’s cool. Winner will be decided by public poll, although with hidden votes. Poll will be created on the 2nd August 2015 and will finish on the 9th August at midnight. I am awaiting reply from Ant and Dec’s manager regarding the live show.

Winner takes all here, and at the moment the prize is literally a Mars bar posted to the winner. Depending on interest and amount of entries this will probably change, although will be finalized within the next two weeks. Also eternal glory.

Rules

-Curbs, 8” height limit.

-Any length of curb can be used

-Curbs can be used in conjunction with other curbs, as long as they’re all less than 4” from the ground go for it

-No time limit length – whatever you think makes it a good curb video

-One rider per video

-Video footage must belong to the person entering the competition, no plagiarism

-Objects not fixed to the ground may be used e.g. water bottle, skateboard. Pretty lenient here but if it’s questionable PM if you don’t want to give anything away. Having said that, no hop over bars.

-Only trials bikes to be used. No BMXs, fixies, or anything that isn’t a trials bike. Any wheel size though. And don’t get clever and start going ‘but what really is a trials bike?’ or I will disqualify the hell out of you.

-Any rule broken = video is disqualified.

-Songs and editing can be whatever, as long as it complies with the above rules.

Prize update -

The prize will be a Mystery Box. The box will be roughly the size of a shoe box and will be occupied by a number of for now nameless items, most of which will not be biking related. The one part of this I will give away now is that the winner will receive an official t-shirt declaring them the winner so that they’re superiority will be obvious when attending group rides.

Once again deadline is midnight 2nd August 2015, good luck people.

Edited by bikeperson45
  • Like 5

Good call dude (Y)

Only query with it is the curb height aspect of things. 4" max seems like it'd be below most normal curb heights? My TGS days are behind me so I don't have my eyes automatically calibrated to work out the precise height in inches of any object any more, but that seems like it'd be a low-ish curb?

</chip pissing>

• Like 1

are we going for the best video or the best riding?

I have an idea

Basically what I think people should vote for is if you had to disregard all other videos and you can only ever watch one of the videos again - which would you want to watch again?

Hope that make sense, with voting down to everyone it's pretty blurred but hopefully will lead to some cool videos as well (or crazily unique in your case :P )

I know the alliteration makes the title of this topic more interesting, however we should definitely be calling this a 'kerb comp', unless your use of curb is to allow our friends across the pond to understand what this comp is about?

In other news, I am in. Going hunting kerbs...

• Like 2

Good call dude (Y)

Only query with it is the curb height aspect of things. 4" max seems like it'd be below most normal curb heights? My TGS days are behind me so I don't have my eyes automatically calibrated to work out the precise height in inches of any object any more, but that seems like it'd be a low-ish curb?

</chip pissing>

4" seems to be an average curb heightish so I'll leave it as it is but I will say that there's no requirement to measure the curb on film...

I require some clarification over traffic islands.

Allowed

I know the alliteration makes the title of this topic more interesting, however we should definitely be calling this a 'kerb comp', unless your use of curb is to allow our friends across the pond to understand what this comp is about?

In other news, I am in. Going hunting kerbs...

Hopefully I've fixed this.

Same. Might make a decent appearance on camera for this one. Think the time limit should be capped at 90 seconds though

The majority of videos will probably be around that length, but if someone wants to have characterisation, symbolism and maybe a few subplots I don't want to limit them with time constrictions.

Edited by bikeperson45
  • Like 1

Dear Trials-Forum,

Having had the issue of the 4” curb rule (June 2015) raised I have done some research into providing the solution. I have looked into the national standards for kerbs and found that height between the bedface and the top of the kerb has not been standardized in a manner relevant for this competition. Legally I cannot go into more detail on a public forum but given this recent information it would seem unfair to impose a limit in a situation where limits have not been not imposed. Obviously this makes the matter debatable as is raises questions about when does a kerb become a small wall and so on. Please note European and international standard bodies have not been researched although international entries are permitted and must conform to the same rules.

However, in light of this information the rule has been amended. The height from ground to top of kerb has been raised from 4” to 8”. I hope this amendment proves satisfactory to your enquiries.

Wishing you the best of luck with your entries,

Bikeperson45

This is me not not doing my work

• Like 6