Censoring the internet from graphic content bad?

Greetings

Just had a thought after spending a few hours on LiveLeak last night.

It's pretty hard these days to come across explicit content showing the aftermath of various accidents, people getting hurt etc. There's none of it in the media or sites like Youtube, Facebook or Google, which most of us spend the majority of our surfing time on. I'm just wondering if this is such a good thing, after all it must give people a false sense of security subsequently leading to more accidents and deaths?

I understand that children need to be protected against such sights but teenagers and adults? Surely all that's needed for the latter is a warning about graphic violence.

I wouldn't say we were being protected from it though - the same eight year old who can look up youtube can still go onto Google and find videos not there. It's not as easily accessible but it's not far off.

Youtube and Facebook choose to remove graphic content which is fair enough since they're privately owned. If we're talking censoring the whole of the internet as an entity to make it kid friendly then I'd be very against that though.

• Like 1

Wasn't Rotten.com a good site for things like bodies hanging out of windscreens after car crashes?

Yeah it was. Our lass loved it for some reason. Loves a bit of gore. She can quite easily watch medical shit whilst eating her tea

Over the years I've seen bits and pieces here and there, but nothing really changed - before I watched videos/saw photos of people getting drastically f**ked up I didn't want to get drastically f**ked up myself. Being aware that you can get run over by a lorry, get split in two and still have enough life left in you to drag your upper half around looking like you're Slimer from Ghostbusters didn't fundamentally make me reassess my views on road safety.

• Like 3

do you seriously think any of that content has educational value?

Possibly - I think it's good for people at a young age to accept mortality and death. At the same time watching videos of Mexican drug cartels sawing heads off probably isn't going to be very good for a child living in the UK, not when we're largely kept away from these things.

It's not about the content itself:

- exercising power - Censorship manifests "people are immature and need guidance like children" as a fact.

- establishing a censorship structure for general purpose (process, organization, people, culture, public belief)

- censorship scope creep - With censorship, the public always looses against powerful singular interests in the long run. Existing Internet filters are misused regularly and systematically, everywhere.

It's not about the content itself:

- exercising power - Censorship manifests "people are immature and need guidance like children" as a fact.

- establishing a censorship structure for general purpose (process, organization, people, culture, public belief)

- censorship scope creep - With censorship, the public always looses against powerful singular interests in the long run. Existing Internet filters are misused regularly and systematically, everywhere.

You are aware that it's still out there, right? It's just a few websites who choose to not display it - it's not like The Internetâ„¢ has banned it. I get what you're saying but it just doesn't really seem applicable here as the subject is just the terms and conditions of a few specific websites.

• Like 1

You are aware that it's still out there, right? It's just a few websites who choose to not display it - it's not like The Internetâ„¢ has banned it. I get what you're saying but it just doesn't really seem applicable here as the subject is just the terms and conditions of a few specific websites.

My bad. As long as it is not part of a PC movement, but just family friendly corporate strategy, no problem for me.

I'm not sure if the opening post is serious or not?

I've NEVER actively gone looking for any accident footage or gory stuff at all, it's not something I like or ever want to see.

I find it increasingly annoying, like Ali says though, that various friends on facebook share / like these type of vids and they appear in my news feed.

When face book updated a while back to auto play vids on the news feed if you were on wifi, I got the fright of my life one morning, lying in bed, as I scrolled down to find a video of someone blending their entire hand off to the wrist in a food blender for the sake of a bloody video!

People lying on train tracks having their legs cut off by trains then waving their 'stumps' around, crazy rebels chainsawing live peoples heads off, all utterly horrific and truly SICK things I've seen shared on facebook by others, that I've not actively wanted to see.

Finding out how to turn off the auto play on vids was a very happy day and certainly helps me sleep better at night without accidentally seeing that kind of gore.

I've seen more of it in the last 2 years than I've ever been subjected to, facebook being the sole supply of such things. I honestly cannot believe it's allowed to be shown.

I'd argue the complete opposite Alex, it's FAR too easy to mistakenly come across that stuff, and I find it very disturbing.

• Like 1

I just unfollow or unfriend people who share that shit Prawn. Don't want to associate with scum like that.

How do they think that sharing that sort of thing publically is a good idea? Oh no wait, it's not public, it's only to every person you know...

I am pretty desensitised from pretty much everything nowadays, growing up with the internet is almost certainly to blame. But is it really a bad thing?

Things like the BME awards show you what not to do and can be both hilarious and disgusting. I therefore feel gore on the internet can be somewhat educational. Obviously there are exceptions mentioned like intentional mutilation where it can only end one way. Can't see any point in this. But back in the school days I knew ALOT of people who would actively search videos like this out. People testing their visual limits. Even 2 girls 1 cup covers this bracket, although it may not be violent it was still pushing boundaries.

Besides, people have always been this way, if they weren't why were hack and slash films so popular (films like SAW for example)? The ancient games were insanely violent and people actively wanted to view them, perhaps you could argue it was a different time/ they didn't know better/ there was nothing better to do. However, that instinct to view violence for the sake of viewing violence was there and as much as we like to think we are more civilised, we all still laugh at watching a fat person falling over. Some people just take that to different degrees because we are all different.

Then we get to games, GTA, Tekken, COD, Halo, all perfect examples of people actively seeking out violence, and like the videos, with zero physical consequence. Some may argue that games like this have desensitised people and encouraged violence in reality. Who is to blame here? The makers of the game? The consumer? Schools for not teaching there is a difference?

I would say I am likely to have more sadistic/morbid thoughts than most, and some of this can be blamed on the internet, but it is something I have brought on myself and it has probably changed me more than I realise. But is that a problem? Am I weaker for knowing I can watch pretty much anything and feel very little? Or does it better prepare me for whatever the future may hold? Shows like Strike back can show you how to survive extreme situations in an entertaining manner, but it is the writers and Ofcom that prevent it from being to the same degree as can be found on the internet. And I'm sure if they could get more in, consumers would eat it up.

It is worth pointing out that I have fortunately seen very little violence in reality, but people posting they don't like gore etc, would you kill for your food? I know I would have very little issue with it. If it weren't so convenient to just buy food, i'm certain this discussion regarding blood and gore would go quite differently as you would be more acquainted with it. (yes, I understand there is a difference as killing for food gives you a benefit in the form of sustenance) but it would be a normal part of life and society would be different because of it.

That is my view on the matter. I am expecting some differing opinions on this, but in the end does it really even matter?

Edited by Ash-Kennard