6.57 kg. My ultralight 24" build

Target

On 7 February 2016 at 0:34 PM, niconj said:

I pre ordered one just to try it out. Costs a third of the Eclipse. :)

Hope it'll work fine, and Schwalbe will make 24" or 20" version. I used 26" tube on my previous 24" bike for a while without any trouble, but not sure this works with ultralight "aerothan" tube.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi guys,
Just want to tell you how the bike holds up after 2 years of riding.

Overall, the bike is fine, and I haven’t broken most important parts. 
Here’s what I’ve broken or changed:

• Echo Ti freewheel. Have broken 2 of them. Switched to Jitsie 108 recently.
  • KMC Z610 HX chain. I change them every 6 months. Thinking about going to 9-sp XC chain since it works fine for plenty of good Spanish riders.
  • Schwalbe tubes. Have changed about 8 of them. I haven’t noticed significant difference between 100 gr, 130 gr and 170 gr versions.
  • Brake pads. Switched to TNN LGM on the back and Belaye on the front with Racing Line backings. I can’t say I’m satisfied. Holding is not that great even on a fresh grind! I have to use tar. Maybe it is because of the material of Neon rims? I’m going to try TNN ADM. Maybe holding will be better with Jitsie rims?
  • Echo brake levers. As expected, they started to leak. I’ve changed cylinders and bleeded the brakes with Trialtech fluid. New cylinders also started to leak, but with Trialtech fluid you don’t have those terrible smudging stains as with oil. I just add a bit of fluid once a month, that’s all.
  • Racing Line Alu brake fittings. Have broken 2 of them when crashing on rocks. 

What I still use and don’t like:

• Schwalbe Rocket Ron and Fat Albert tyres. They are slippery, especially on wet surfaces. Also, it’s easy to get pinch flats when riding on sharp rocks. However, they are fine for street spots and dry roundish rocks. Unfortunately, there are very few 24” tyre options.

The weight of the bike is 6.59 kg at the moment. I ride about 2 times per week and do all the stuff I want including hookups and all kinds of wedgings and switches. Riding is so much fun when your bike is light and controllable, really love it!

0_180739_31f216a3_L.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I guess it's time for a little update. The frame has finally cracked in the headtube area, between the bottom tube gusset and the headtube. 

We decided to remove the gusset and material with the crack, and make a carbon patch.

It was just an experiment, but it went quite well. This happened in September, and the fix is still holding fine. I thought the adhesion between carbon and aluminium would be an issue, but it is holding surprisingly strong.

Now I have a new frame waiting to be built, so I do a lot of static hooks on this old one to find out how long this fix gonna last :)

Z5DWhfkbaEUOZVdupvvCGCJQ7TVheXytjVztzPQV

Edited by Target
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Target said:

I guess it's time for a little update. The frame has finally cracked in the headtube area, between the bottom tube gusset and the headtube. 

We decided to remove the gusset and material with the crack, and make a carbon patch.

It was just an experiment, but it went quite well. This happened in September, and the fix is still holding fine. I thought the adhesion between carbon and aluminium would be an issue, but it is holding surprisingly strong.

Now I have a new frame waiting to be built, so I do a lot of static hooks on this old one to find out how long this fix gonna last :)

Z5DWhfkbaEUOZVdupvvCGCJQ7TVheXytjVztzPQV

Just so you know, carbon and epoxy composite oxydes aluminium. That's why manufacturers put kevlar in between thèmes well as making it hold together when it cracks. So watch that fix very carefully !