US holiday alone

HippY

Hi guys

It seems that I will have enough funds to go to New York, rent a car and drive around that area ( Toronto, Detroit, Pittsburgh and New York again, Chicago is not likely sadly) in March with some cheap hotel (Travelodge like) on the way

The catch is, probably I can go alone, as my friend has no money, my family will be elsewhere.

The other option is the same but around Los Angeles, although the main reason behind New York is that I want to meet with a friend in Toronto

Question is for the "experienced" people here:

Should I go for this kind of long trip alone or should I wait more, it will be a year the least to go there with my friend?

I have no idea how US can be alone and it is a bit scary.

Don't do it on your own, America is a fooking big place and is not as easy to get along with folk as they make out the telly. The touristy bits are ok and quite friendly but normal rural America is a bit less so. Stick to the populated areas and you should be ok

Don't do it on your own, America is a fooking big place and is not as easy to get along with folk as they make out the telly. The touristy bits are ok and quite friendly but normal rural America is a bit less so. Stick to the populated areas and you should be ok

I know a couple who went touring round America on motorbikes and said the exact opposite. They were shocked how often people offered to feed and house them for the night along the way. :lol:

• Like 2

I'm speaking from my own personal experience, then again I was in Texas. Got family out there who have been there about 2 years and they said it's not as easy as they thought. No social things to do at all without travelling miles or spending shed loads of cash

Should I go for this kind of long trip alone or should I wait more, it will be a year the least to go there with my friend?

I have no idea how US can be alone and it is a bit scary.

Go on your own and enjoy the freedom to do whatever you want. Whilst the tabloids and people down the pub will have you believe the world is a horrible nasty place crawling with murderers and scam artists waiting to kill you, the truth is that it's quite the opposite. You're young and healthy, go and do it. Get the car and just drive. I went on adventures on my own in the US and had an amazing time - showed up in Buffalo, one of the most rundown, shady looking places you'll find, turned up in some bar and had the craziest night ever - in fact it was one of the best of the whole trip.

Chances are if you put it off then it'll never happen. Conditions will never be perfect, friends often drop out and flake (my neighbours daughter was due to go to Asia with some friends, they all f'cken flaked on her, she went anyway by herself and had an awesome time, didn't want to come back).

Also the comments above about sticking to the cities, well that's just ridiculous. Often you'll find the real people worth meeting way out in the middle of nowhere. A friend of mine was alone hitch-hiking in Laos and ended up staying at farms, helping people work the land. Where you want to be is a million miles away from spoonfed tourists in their little bubble of safety. F'ck all that, get the car and go and have an experience that'll be worth telling your grandkids about.

Oh yeah and another friend of mine took his motorbike through Iraq last year, into Iran. Just hopped on the bike and went. Ended up camping out with druggies in some wadi in the desert, got invited to stay at strangers houses, did all sorts of shit, said it was amazing.

• Like 1

I'd do eastern Europe alone due to the hostels or whatever. I'm sure there are loads in America but i wouldn't do it

Ohh yeah, you plan to go to Hungary

Lets meet up in a week or two, im from there i could give you some advice

America's very spread out. I'm all for doing things alone but everyone always forgets New York is a state and not just the city, going from New York City to Toronto is a pretty solid drive on your own.

It is like 9 hrs, i was already checking it. Actually i am planning it for the past half a year or so

Go on your own and enjoy the freedom to do whatever you want. Whilst the tabloids and people down the pub will have you believe the world is a horrible nasty place crawling with murderers and scam artists waiting to kill you, the truth is that it's quite the opposite. You're young and healthy, go and do it. Get the car and just drive. I went on adventures on my own in the US and had an amazing time - showed up in Buffalo, one of the most rundown, shady looking places you'll find, turned up in some bar and had the craziest night ever - in fact it was one of the best of the whole trip.

Chances are if you put it off then it'll never happen. Conditions will never be perfect, friends often drop out and flake (my neighbours daughter was due to go to Asia with some friends, they all f'cken flaked on her, she went anyway by herself and had an awesome time, didn't want to come back).

Also the comments above about sticking to the cities, well that's just ridiculous. Often you'll find the real people worth meeting way out in the middle of nowhere. A friend of mine was alone hitch-hiking in Laos and ended up staying at farms, helping people work the land. Where you want to be is a million miles away from spoonfed tourists in their little bubble of safety. F'ck all that, get the car and go and have an experience that'll be worth telling your grandkids about.

Oh yeah and another friend of mine took his motorbike through Iraq last year, into Iran. Just hopped on the bike and went. Ended up camping out with druggies in some wadi in the desert, got invited to stay at strangers houses, did all sorts of shit, said it was amazing.

I would stay "around" that area, Chicago might be the furthest i would go

That is my biggest problem, i do not want to go alone, but I have no other choice, as I have been at quite many places in EU, and now i want to go somewhere far and that is expensive... I can afford it now but noone else

Arent you the guy living in Asia chasing asian girls by accident?

• Like 1

That is my biggest problem, i do not want to go alone, but I have no other choice, as I have been at quite many places in EU, and now i want to go somewhere far and that is expensive... I can afford it now but noone else

Arent you the guy living in Asia chasing asian girls by accident?

Not many of them were by accident! When I first went to Asia four years ago it was on my own and I was scared, didn't know what the hell it would be like over there. And actually the first trip I did was the one to the US in 2009, and I'll admit I was pretty nervous about that. (Funny thing is I'm still in touch with the waitress from that bar in Buffalo : )

From what I've read before you've stepped out of your comfort zone with a few things, taken some risks, and this is generally where we expand our horizons. Who knows you may meet some amazing female hitch-hiker and end up on some crazy adventure! Or find a like-minded person with a good idea and start a business together. The thing is there's no telling how it'll end up, no scripting it - that's what makes it such a great opportunity, and at the very minimum you'll come home having had a unique trip that, in some way, will change your perception of life. For me it made me determined to find a way to travel and explore on a more permanent basis - for my brother he enjoyed doing the same kind of trips but decided that ultimately that wasn't for him.

All depends If you need company or happy by yourself, driving isn't a problem unlike England they are pretty friendly and don't mind you cutting in if you picked the wrong lane or need to do a U-turn, it is a big place so don't underestimate how much driving you would have to do, my personal opinion is trips like those are best when shared but that's just my opinion

Not many of them were by accident! When I first went to Asia four years ago it was on my own and I was scared, didn't know what the hell it would be like over there. And actually the first trip I did was the one to the US in 2009, and I'll admit I was pretty nervous about that. (Funny thing is I'm still in touch with the waitress from that bar in Buffalo : )

From what I've read before you've stepped out of your comfort zone with a few things, taken some risks, and this is generally where we expand our horizons. Who knows you may meet some amazing female hitch-hiker and end up on some crazy adventure! Or find a like-minded person with a good idea and start a business together. The thing is there's no telling how it'll end up, no scripting it - that's what makes it such a great opportunity, and at the very minimum you'll come home having had a unique trip that, in some way, will change your perception of life. For me it made me determined to find a way to travel and explore on a more permanent basis - for my brother he enjoyed doing the same kind of trips but decided that ultimately that wasn't for him

On topic, i got a cute korean girls number who will move to Sheffield for uni!

I think i just got the last push, as i just got some money that is enough for the flight and car for few days,so there will be furious planning in the next few weeks

The question was mainly on travelling alone as my friend wont be able to come with me

A friend of mine has done new york 5+ times, san fran, la, washington, yosemite and many more places on his own no problems at all.

If your an outgoing person who doesn't have issue talking to strangers you'll have no problems at all.

They speak 'english' which is half of the problem going places.

A friend of mine has done new york 5+ times, san fran, la, washington, yosemite and many more places on his own no problems at all.

If your an outgoing person who doesn't have issue talking to strangers you'll have no problems at all.

They speak 'english' which is half of the problem going places.

@Tony Harrison

Okay, then decisions were made, the planning phase begins, trying to fit in a budget

It seems like if I rent a car wisely ( for like 4 days), get my return flights from Leeds to New york return( cheapest) and do 5-6 hrs drivings( as said by google, except from Washington to Toronto, then to Chicago 8 hrs each) then it is doable for reasonable price!

Thanks guys for your help, now I am a more confident, as I mainly heard negative things about US ( or way too good, if that makes sense) so I was not sure whether it is doable

now I am a more confident, as I mainly heard negative things about US

Often this'll be from people who've never been, had some shitty college trip or did a transit stop in LA or somewhere.

You're going to have a rad time, I'm envious! Some rental firms need a credit (rather than debit) card, and you'll obviously want your UK license. Might be worth going to the post office and getting an international permit for £6 or whatever it costs.

• Like 1

I would have missed out on so many things in life if I hadn't done them because a friend was unable to join me or dropped out.

Seeing as it's your first trip would you be more comfortable doing some sort of organised tour? Whatever you do hostels are a great way to force yourself to meet people, look at reviews and make bookings through http://www.hostelworld.com/

• Like 2

I would have missed out on so many things in life if I hadn't done them because a friend was unable to join me or dropped out.

Seeing as it's your first trip would you be more comfortable doing some sort of organised tour? Whatever you do hostels are a great way to force yourself to meet people, look at reviews and make bookings through http://www.hostelworld.com/

yeah, hostels definitely will be useful

plan is slightly modified, this time coming from colorado, looking at Salt Lake City, then GRand Canyon and then Las Vegas and up north

Tickets to New York will be bought in a month time, after I see the dates and other bits for uni