Facebook asking to confirm my name with an ID?

Greetings

I only use a name and no surname but that's been going on for a few years now. Is there any way of getting past this? I'm pretty self conscious when it comes to privacy on the internet and submitting an ID to a social media site is out of the question. Wondering whether Photoshop isn't the answer but I still suck at it.

? -> Just fill in the name.

It won't matter for FB, they know anyways.

They want clear names mostly to get more civilized posts and profiles (not a fake Berlusconi, for example)

Having no clear name in IT profile data is only an advantage against individuals (a neighbour snooping around while browsing), not against larger organizations (an HR services company buying processed profile data).

Edited by stirlingpowers

Can you log in and change your name?

Add a surname that's not your own, a nick name or something?

I made a fake account years ago called Walter Sobchak and they picked up on it being a film character, so I just logged in and changed the name to Walt Sobchak instead.

Yeah, I can still use it for 7 days until they block it due to no ID. Not sure adding a surname will help because they will still require a document but I'll look into it.

Having no clear name in IT profile data is only an advantage against individuals (a neighbour snooping around while browsing), not against larger organizations (an HR services company buying processed profile data).

That's fine. I'm not bothered about being a database entry or a statistic for larger organisations.

They'll rob our asses blank with that. They'll tell us that they can't offer a job currently, or we will get "best personal offers". They'll base it on our social media circle, our online wording, on the time we get up on Sundays, and on how aggressively we drive.

It is not like that anyone sells anyone any data directly (imagine the outcry), it is just service companies offering statistically proven analysis services for other service companies, and some privacy policies with lots of "may" and "such as".

Compared to this worst case, Hitler and Mielke were amateurs in Totalitarism.

Sorry, sometimes this shit gets me. But now that i've taken my meds, we can continue with Trials talk...

Edited by stirlingpowers

Dude just put a fake name on it. :P That's what all the primary school teachers/teachers assistants I know do. (My girlfriend is one).

I thought you could opt to not be found by anyone who's a member of a certain group, ie. Woodside School.

It was impossible to find any of my teachers on Facebook, (not on dating websites though- lol) but as soon as I left they suddenly came up as suggested friends.

Maybe it was the IT departments doing, but it was definitely not possible to find them.

Edited by TrialsIsHard