Ebay issue - knowledge required..

Tom Booth

So I sold a bass guitar to a guy abroad. I specifically put will only ship to UK but eBay launched that global buyer shit. 

The guy bought it and paid before it had chance to do anything so I decided to how ahead with it. He gave me a shipping address for one of these international shipping offices with a reference number for it to carry on from there. I shipped via TNT next day, it arrived with the shipping centre all was well. I've received a message via eBay from the buyer telling me he hasn't received the bass and wants me to chase the shipping centre up.

This is where my issue lies, is this now my problem? I shipped to the address he gave, it arrived next day so my end of the transaction was kept? I know in the UK the seller owns and accepts liability until the buyer receives but I shipped the address provided without problem, from then on it's between him and the shipping company? From what I've read it seems a grey area but probably lies with me to chase it up.

global shipping stuff usually has a tracking number in my ebay with the status. It could be that he missed a delivery attempt and the card got lost or something. Either of you are able to check the tracking. 

I don't really know how those international shipping offices work, but if you sent it to that office with some kind of reference number that could then be associated with his address then I'd say it's his problem if he requested it be sent like that.

I'd explain that the item has arrived at the address that you were requested to send the item to and that your duties have been taken care of. Seems that his problem is with him and them not him and you. If I sent an item to someone but they said they wanted it shipped to their friend because they won't be home, and then I get an email from the guy saying that his friend accepted the package but won't give his the package, then that's his problem not mine.

If I sent an item to someone but they said they wanted it shipped to their friend because they won't be home, and then I get an email from the guy saying that his friend accepted the package but won't give his the package, then that's his problem not mine.

That's exactly how I was looking at it. I'm going to call the shipping centre later and get a progress update on it but in my opinion I've done exactly what was asked of me. 

This is from the eBay Global Shipping Program FAQ

Although you're responsible for ensuring the package arrives safely at the UK Shipping Centre, in general, you will not be responsible if the item is damaged or lost after the item has reached the centre. For additional information, see the Global Shipping Programme Seller Terms and Conditions.

More can be found here: http://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/using-global-shipping-programme#how 

Edit: More extracts from their Ts&Cs

Risk of Loss. The risk of loss or damage to a GSP Item shall remain with you until the GSP Item is accepted at the UK Shipping Centre or has been returned to you by Pitney Bowes from the UK Shipping Centre. The risk of loss or damage to a GSP Item shall transfer to your Buyer from Pitney Bowes and/or its service providers when the GSP Item leaves the UK Shipping Centre for export.

GSP Items purchased by your Buyer may be covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee or PayPal Buyer Protection programme applicable to the eBay site where the Buyer purchases the GSP Item.
In general, you will be responsible under the eBay Money Back Guarantee or the PayPal Buyer Protection for the loss of, or damage to, a GSP Item until it is accepted at the UK Shipping Centre or if the item has been returned to you from the UK Shipping Centre. For example, you will be held responsible for eBay Money Back Guarantee cases or for PayPal Buyer Protection programme cases (whether or not a GSP Item can be repackaged or returned to you) where eBay (or PayPal as applicable) finds that:

1. Lost, Damaged, or Undeliverable Items.
  2. eBay Money Back Guarantee and PayPal Buyer Protection Programme.
    1. A GSP Item that you sold was not received at the UK Shipping Centre.
    2. A GSP Item that you sold was noted as damaged by the domestic carrier when received at the UK Shipping Centre.
    3. A GSP Item that you sold was found to be damaged upon opening after receipt thereof at the UK Shipping Centre.
    4. A Parcel contains the wrong or no GSP Item associated with the Buyer's order, or more items than contained in the Buyer’s order.
    5. One or more of the following pieces of information provided by you is incorrect or indeterminable (and it is not practicable for Pitney Bowes to correct):
      • Country of Manufacture
      • Item Category
      • Item condition
      • Weight of Parcel
      • A Parcel is oversized and/or overweight and cannot be sent through an upgraded service.
      • A GSP Item that you sold requires destruction (e.g., contraband).
      • A GSP Item is restricted or prohibited for export.

You will not be responsible under the eBay Money Back Guarantee or PayPal Buyer Protection Programmes for the loss of, or damage to, a GSP Item after its acceptance at the UK Shipping Centre.

Edited by that NBR dude

• 3 months later...

The first guy at paypal was an absolute arsepiece, he tried to argue using the shipping guidelines for a UK sale, I asked for someone else and that guy seemed pretty good. He saw I'd kept my side of the transaction and the fault was with the foreign parcel company. He's passed it onto the appeals department who should be getting back to me tomorow. I've left the ball in there court, if they don't come through I'll speak with citizens advice and hopefully trading standards.