Vinyl Printing/cutting help required..

Tom Booth

At the minute I'm using a lot of cut vinyl stickers on restoration work, to replace old writing and such. I'm also using printed stickers . The guy I use knocks stuff out of unbelievable quality, he's just so f**king slow and unreliable so I've decided to buy my own setup.

I'm looking to buy a decent vinyl printer to do my own work. I'm looking at second hand branded, so I can get some sort of aftercare down the line if needs be. I need help though deciding what I need, is there 1 machine that does bothprinting and cutting? I don't understand the whole process to be honest but I know a few of you lads have made your own stickers before so thought you might be able to help. The stuff I'd be making would be for my own use so speed isn't key, and the biggest thing I'd be printing would be 150mm at its widest so I don't need a huge machine, A2 would probably be it's biggest demand. 

Budget of around 3/400 for something good, I've seen a few recon machines around that money so I'm happy to spend for good quality. Any help would be massively appreciated.

I know this absolutely isn't what you're asking for, but have you thought of getting in touch with Lucy @ Indiprint? I forget what her username is on here, and I don't think she uses the forum anymore, but I've had a fair amount of stuff of of her and her turnaround times and quality are top notch. Can't help you printing wise, but I'd imagine she'd be able to point you in the right direction there too.

I spoke to Lucy a while ago about some unrelated jobs, but she never returned my messages.

My plan is to try and get as self sufficient as possible. I've had sandblasting guys let me down before so I've bought a sand blasting tank and big hopper and gun to cater for myself. I don't offer it for other people, just for my own use to try and be as independent as possible. If something isn't finished when I said it would be, I've only myself to blame this way. I'll wing Jones a message later on to see what he's recommendations are.

• Like 1

Word - I got all my Clean stickers done through him and he was always really good with that.  He even created the vector of the design for me FOC (Y)

EDIT:  This new forum post thing is so f**king annoying - emoticons appearing then disappearing, images either not appearing or just making some garbled part photo link part IMG tag URL - hassle...

• 1 year later...

So, 1 year and 4 months later I've actually bought a machine.

Only a cheapo ebay special to get me going for the time being to see how I get on with it but hopefully I'll amass enough work to warrant a bigger more capable machine.

• Like 1