RSQ

forteh

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2016 at 4:28 PM, TrialsIsHard said:

Can I reuse spokes from a Spank subrosa to a Zoot rear rim? 

Definitely not, unfortunately!  From memory the Subrosa ERD is around 475mm, and the Zoot one is 494mm so they're way too different for that to really work I'm afraid.

If they were ones that went from the Spank to the Zoot, they'd theoretically be quite a bit too short so you'd end up having some threads showing, or the tips of the spokes being pretty low in the nipples.  If they're too low then it can lead to the nipples shearing at the rim more easily because they're no longer supported by the spoke properly.  

If they were a little on the long side for the Spanks it could be they're in the sweet spot that means they're just about OK for the Zoot rim though.

17 hours ago, TrialsIsHard said:
On 08/02/2016 at 10:27 PM, Mark W said:

Ok so following @Mark W's inspirational post, I have laced the spokes into the wheel. Which seemed to work...

What should I be looking out for? eg. spokes having x number of threads exposed. etc that would indicate they are too short

Just a quick one I thought of after our call, it may be worth double checking whether the wheel's laced 2x or 3x.  The reason I mention it is that the Hope/Spank combo would usually be laced with 228-230mm spokes 3x, so you should have spokes in that kind of length.  The Hope/Zoot combo in 2x uses 228.6mm spokes for 2x, so if your old spokes have ended up finishing that close to the head of the nipple it would suggest it may be 2x?  This is the calculator the Hope/Zoot combo to give you an idea:

spoke_lengths.jpg