Video tutorial sticky ?

dave33

After reading all the negative comments people feel the need they have to express right through the this section of the forum I thought it would be a good addition to here for people who want to try and make some quality videos, there seems to be a shortage of quality videos around these days.

any thing we can do to increase the production can only be a positive for all members, many who only really come on to use the video section. 

I would like to try myself but I don't really have a clue when it comes to this area, any positive information would be appreciated. 

• Like 2

Pretty much this video: mood intro, natural and street split together, slo-mo in the right moments, good music - no comercial, some funny clips (party), some speedtrial clips and oscar goes to...Andy Tonkery:)

Edited by Rafal
  • Like 2

Depending on how obtrusive it is, 'commercial' videos aren't too bad, and for the future they're the most likely way of better known riders getting the chance to have a video made of them.  In the BMX world pretty much every video is for a brand, and it doesn't come across as being too pushy.

Thanks rafal for the vote :)

I think a video should just come from your heart, good friends riding, have no intentions other than sharing your love of the sport and how fun it is to ride- if you make it well the viewer will take away a feeing of happiness for this sport and be inspired to ride over some obstacles. 

Love watching all vids mark comes out with, and a lot of the inspired guys / flipp / jamesb / rossm / cocky ...

I would say the Trialskings videos are my goal, loved when they would come out and every one of them were so exciting in the days before YouTube. Just mates riding with mates, pushing the envelope and having fun.

Lots can be said, haven't the time now- but I would abolish minute long intros with no riding at all in them... Nothing peeves me more than that, or full buttsex euro techno soundtrack... But the French are just French, they can't help it. 

4 hours ago, Rafal said:

Pretty much this video: mood intro, natural and street split together, slo-mo in the right moments, good music - no comercial, some funny clips (party), some speedtrial clips and oscar goes to...Andy Tonkery:)

Yes I enjoy all of the Andy T videos, he's very talented.

iv never watched any bmx videos so I don't understand what you mean 

8 hours ago, dave33 said:

iv never watched any bmx videos so I don't understand what you mean 

So, to me, that's a negative comment. Instead of turning your nose up to BMX edits, maybe if you'd take the time to watch a couple, you'd educate yourself a little on how good riding videos are made instead of making winey little bitch topics because no one liked your mates video.

Yes, I understand the irony of my winey little bitch reply to your comment. 

Have a look at anything Dave Sowerby has produced. I'm not massively into the BMX scene but I know what I like, and BSD edits are it.

• Like 4

Just for the record, I just meant that I'd seen BMX videos that did the commercial side of things in a cool way.  That said, BMX videos at all levels beat the shit out of trials videos.  Part of that is because people used to get a shitload of abuse (and some constructive criticism) for putting out bad videos, so it meant people raised the bar.  The lack of that in the trials world hasn't really helped things.  That's probably why the 'pro' photographers in the trials world aren't exactly outstanding, and also why there aren't really many/any good videos being put out.

• Like 3

so on the tutorial topic, this year I am thinking of making fairly high effort tutorials with some of the toast boys working up from trackstands to sidehops ect.

I'l post them when they pop into existence. 

ps. it would be cool if @Mark W and @Adam@TartyBikes made some updated tutorial / advice videos

Edited by ItsMatt

Do you mean via the TartyBikes site?  If so, that's definitely on my to-do list.  Looking back on the ones we did before is pretty cringe-y, just because I know how much better they could be.  Still, that's learning I guess. 

The plan is to get a jazzy new site on the go at some point in 2016 so if timings work out I might try and get it so we've got a load of fresh videos to go along with that.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

So, to me, that's a negative comment. Instead of turning your nose up to BMX edits, maybe if you'd take the time to watch a couple, you'd educate yourself a little on how good riding videos are made instead of making winey little bitch topics because no one liked your mates video.

Yes, I understand the irony of my winey little bitch reply to your comment. 

Have a look at anything Dave Sowerby has produced. I'm not massively into the BMX scene but I know what I like, and BSD edits are it.

I wasn't being negative or winey, I wouldn't know where to look for these good bmx videos. 

Im not having a bitch about any one not liking any videos I'm simply trying to educate myself and others. 

I really can't see why your coming along with that type of "winey" comment. 

If some one posted a topic on how to bleed a magura there would be plenty of how to guides etc, what's the different with videos ? Iv never had to post a topic of how to bleed my brake, neather did I find the need to be negative to any one who did. 

On 10/01/2016 at 2:49 PM, dave33 said:

After reading all the negative comments people feel the need they have to express right through the this section of the forum...

8 hours ago, dave33 said:

Im not having a bitch about any one not liking any videos...

It does kind of seem like you are.

I feel like you guys have it already sorted but just a TL;DR version with steps:

1. Make sure the move, line, obstacle AND RIDER (100% of his/her body+ bike) are all inside the frame of the video, so we can actually see what just happened and what the rider did, not just filming the wheels or the shoes. Step back and make sure we can see wtf is going on. 

2. Pick some non-cheesy music (if you're adding music)

3. Use of slow-mo should be tasteful, we don't need to see a slow-mo 1 meter gap and 2 minutes of rear wheel hops because they were all captured in slow-mo.

4. It can be commercial but just tell the people filming that the viewers will want to be able to see what just happened, and will also want to see a 90% riding video.

5. It does NOT have to be a movie production with storyline, etc. Refer to Borisevich Pavel's older videos, CLS, Ali C. 

6. Not required but good for reference: latest amazing videos are ones from Mark W.

7. Dress like a proper human being.

And some people will hate me for this but if you see Danny Mac's videos, yes they are over the top productions but you can see what he's doing, even if you don't like his riding style AND they're all about someone riding a bike.

If I missed something let me know. 

Edited by valk
had to add 7

One thing to bear in mind as well as the good points from @valk is about how the pictures work with the music. First off, you want to pick something with the same sort of 'flow' as your riding. Then I think one of the least utilised aspects of editing is to focus on making sure that a cut between clips, or an important part of a clip (landing, for instance) is timed with a beat of the music. This can definitely be over done, but putting a little effort into it will help to give your video a sense of direction.

• Like 1

I was actually going to mention timing being an important thing - just stuff like a clip starting/ending in time with the music is enough to start getting it to work out better as a whole.

Another pretty important point is to try and make sure there's a progression through the video.  Basically, if the best line is at the end, assuming you've chosen a decent song, you can build up the video towards that end point.  Seen so many videos where the stand-out line for the video is buried half-way through, and it just ends on a relatively minor trick.  You want the lasting impression of a video someone has to be a good one, so save the best til last, rather than it just tailing off.  It doesn't have to be a strictly "worst to best" type order for everything, so usually starting with a good clip to grab people's attention then maybe having another couple of "better" clips for the ends of verses/choruses can work well too to sustain interest and get the momentum of the video building up.  A fairly straight forward way to get a video structured is to find a clip you think would be good as the ender and then another good one for the start, place them on your chosen song in the right place and cut it so they're in time with the music.  If there are any particular points in a song that you think could work well with a particular line/move/crash then you can put them into place, then essentially fill the gaps between them.  As an example of mid video/using a song clip placement, I knew that I wanted to have a crash at the point where the song cuts out here at 3:20:

It was originally going to be a different clip, but we didn't get the make so reverted to that one.  Things like that are pretty straight forward, and although it's not the most imaginative way of using a song ever it help tie everything together.  It's also got an example of the starter/ender clip I was talking about before - the roof drop was one we'd thought of using as an ender from the moment we saw it, whereas with the first clip it was one I really wanted to use but Ali wanted to save for later in the video.  As he was in Glasgow and I was editing it in Cardiff it meant I won that one, but I wanted to open the video with something really good and a bit different to normal, and I thought it fitted the bill (especially as I think it's probably one of the best lines I've seen Ali do - that wooden rail is really f**king high, and it's a creative use of a spot that I don't think many other people would really come up with).

• Like 1

I always try and time something for a chorus or a heavy part of a song, also the finishing move is important, just watch the videos that impress you the most and they'll all have things in common.

Never use brand pop music, just don't, especially brand new pop, and nothing from the top ten, I'd much rather hear something new, even if I don't like it, than Imagine Dragons or anything else that's been rinsed by radio. There should also be a rule on certain Linkin Park songs, as much as I love them.

As Valk said, don't dress like a penis, continuity is good, so if you can wear the same through a whole video then great, but it's not always possible.

On 12/01/2016 at 6:59 PM, dave33 said:

No, what I'm after is some information on how to make decent videos. 

some good examples here https://www.youtube.com/c/teamtoast 

JOKING I'm not that far up myself. 

point the camera at the thing and keep the camera steady, don't add shit music. (like I do)

Edited by ItsMatt