An hour with Jack Carthy

Mark W

For 2016, we're pleased to announce we're going to be sponsoring Jack Carthy :)

Jack came by the warehouse yesterday to pick up some bits and pieces, and while he was here we decided to get a couple of clips in the riding area.  The following clips were all filmed in an hour (including some general chatting/moving stuff around).  Pretty much everything you see was first try - Jack is pretty good...

• Like 12

Can I just rename this to the how to make a decent vid thread? 

So simple yet shows everything! 

As for Jack I don't think I've ever seen someone so comfortable and in control on the front wheel of a bike. I'd love to see how he gets on with other styles of bike in different situations. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, isitafox said:

Apart from the clip where I pretty much go full length over a sticking out bit of sleeper.  I don't think I've ever fallen over as much filming a video as I did filming that one, haha.

Glad people are liking it though, it was cool to see Jack just show up and blow every line out of the water!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark W said:

Apart from the clip where I pretty much go full length over a sticking out bit of sleeper.  I don't think I've ever fallen over as much filming a video as I did filming that one, haha.

I did have a giggle at that moment, well held!

That Jack's a bit good. I just wish that the hoppy bikes brakes could work as well silently. I totally admire what the big guys can do on those bikes, but the noise just ruins all the flow they have visually for me. I take it he just can't get the same feel from discs or something?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JD™ said:

I take it he just can't get the same feel from discs or something?

Amount of flex in the wheel when running 26" dual disc is horrible. 
Koxx used to make the red sky (think Tarty Adam had one) which was 26" DD and on the few I rode the brakes always felt a bit vague 

• Like 1

Yeah I used to have rear disk on my Yaabaa and while it had it's advantages (silent, good modulation, good hold on rounded edges, no grinding, good in the wet, no regrinding with a puncture) it had considerable downsides (weight, flexy spokes, reduced hold on sharp edges) that made it hard work.

To an extent the same is true for the front, although spoke flex is not really an issue. But i'd imagine weight and the reliability of Magura (no rotor to bend mid section) are the main reasons he goes for a Magura.

Anyways... Excellent vid, looks so very controlled. Love the front wheel stuff and the odd spin.

4 hours ago, Mark W said:

i really hope he poked at least a little fun at you, because he does all that stuff on a bike while you can't even walk properly without falling over.

:D

He did indeed, haha.  I had to move a random block of concrete/rubble, and just rolled it then tipped it over to get it out the way.  Just expected a little 'bang' when it hit the floor but it sounded like someone had dropped a boulder off the mezzanine.  He dropped out "You're making more noise than me going around!" - legit comment.

• Like 1

Man do you not know how to film!?

take the wide angle off, and zoom in to concentrate on what his chain stay is doing, or his brake finger, or his pedals- something we can enjoy. No one wants to see him actually riding.

I think you need to make all the objects in the tarty bikes set up much higher and much farther away :o:o:o

Edited by AndyT
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, AndyT said:

I think you need to make all the objects in the tarty bikes set up much higher and much farther away :o:o:o

That's about the limit we can do, haha - Cap and I had it in "Playing around on Inspireds" size, so when Jack showed up we had to mix some bits and pieces up.  The 59" box was previously in 48" mode, so that got moved pretty much instantly.  When I found out he was coming and we'd be potentially filming some bits my first worry was that there wasn't enough there to challenge him.  I think that might have worked out OK though in a way as it means that he did some things you wouldn't ordinarily see him do (e.g. the gap to turn/hook type thing, the gap to 180 front pivot, etc.). 

Next time...

• Like 1

On 20 January 2016 at 9:45 AM, isitafox said:

So simple yet shows everything!

As for Jack I don't think I've ever seen someone so comfortable and in control on the front wheel of a bike. I'd love to see how he gets on with other styles of bike in different situations.

Same hear about JC's front wheel precision and control. Pretty sure if he put his mind to making great video content, he could easily show that level of precision and control on the backwheel without using correction hops on some of those lines.

Still amazing watch regardless...

We just announced it via our FB and Instagram accounts, but for those who aren't active elsewhere, we're running an offer this weekend to coincide with our new sponsorship with Jack - you can get 15% off all Jack's Signature Series products and 10% off all other Trialtech parts on our website this weekend only by using the promo code CARTHY at checkout.