UCI Confirms mechanical doping in competition race

Rusevelt

Surely a device small enough to be hidden inside the frame isn't going to have enough battery power to give a great advantage? And even if it does how much weight does it add?

That video suggests its geared to the bottom bracket.  I thought it may be internal to the rear hub.

Do these sports have a minimum weight limit on their bikes? If so, extra weight here can be lost else where I suppose. And it's suprising how powerful small motors and batteries are these days. Even a minute or 2 of a bit more power could be quite an advantage. Especially nearer the end of a race, when everyone is tired.

they have to add weight to bikes to make them competition acceptable  sometimes so fitting in a weight is probably no big deal. i imagine so long as your not underweight they won't investigate why your running something heavier.

• 2 months later...
On 2/7/2016 at 11:28 AM, Ross McArthur said:

Don't they tend to run alloy bars over carbons ones etc. to get the weight up? I've heard that.

alloy bars are preferable for when you crash; the consensus is your fine adding weight anywhere but the wheels and drivetrain. shits about to his the fan really hard, loads of new articles on this. cycling's image is pretty good, i hope this doesn't wreck it :( 

• 1 year later...