Redundancy card?

bikeperson45

So a guy at work who's been in my works badminton club for the past year was made redundant. We're a pretty friendly group and a few of us thought a bottle of wine and a card would be nice to quietly give him at the end of his last session.

I thought acknowledging that someone's leaving after a year of weekly after work would be better than him leaving wordlessly but a few people, not in the club, have said they weren't sure about this and it bordered on faux pas territory. 

Thoughts?

Was only announced late on Friday so drinks are kind of off the table, and it's a 'two sets above casual acquaintance' so not going massively out of the way :P  Been agreed to do a wee card and for one of us to chuck it over to him and people say their own goodbyes so should be all right. 

Thanks fellas

I think if it's done with a "Good luck for the future" angle rather than a "Sorry you weren't good enough at your job lol" angle it'll be fine.  If you've known someone for a while and then forces out of your control mean that you're not going to be spending time with them, not acknowledging it would be way more of a 'faux pas' than sending a card to say you appreciated the time you spent with them.

• Like 1

When you being made redundant the worst thing is everyone safe in their job being like - "ah bad luck" or any shit like that. You may not know it but you are already hated - you can pay your over due rent! The less mentioned about it the better - yes I have been made redundant lol