Keto diet anyone?

JT!

21 minutes ago, jeff costello said:

worst diet idiocy ever!

Exactly this, I realised it as soon as I read, 

“But what about heart disease and cholesterol? I DON’T WANNA DIE; BACON ISN’T WORTH IT!”

Don't they know bacon is life? Bullshit :rolleyes:

Edited by bike_dummie
  • Like 1

It made the most sense to me. Thought I'd try it out for a month tracking my food intake to the letter and see what happens. Then I'll decide whether I want to go back to eating like a pig and exercise, or just keep on eating healthier foods and no exercise.

What about... (and this is a tough one to wrap your head around, I know) ...both?

Dieting makes you fat. That means any diet. The act of being 'on' a diet inevitably means that the shitness of being human comes in at some point and you'll be 'off' said diet. Then you get fat, and/or unhealthy. Balance is the key(to).

• Like 3

I'm on keto now, I use it every year, its really good if you know what you are doing. Check out the keto gains forum on reddit too. There is a ton of bullshit info on keto on the web so be careful.

@JT! Why are you on it ? Are you in keto yet ?

Edited by ooo

Like Mike said, do more.

I used to work in offices but was fairly active outside of work, I weighed more than I do now and had a visible beer storage system.

The past 2 summers and last winter I was living an extremely active lifestyle in a mountain town, I wasn't eating that healthy (pizza and burgers were a staple part of my diet, it was cheaper to buy day old pizza than make my own lunch!), I was drinking regularly and snacking less but I got much fitter and lost weight. I am still active and cycle regularly but I now work in a shop where I'm on my feet all day and have to cover 3 floors so am going up and down stairs constantly. I still wouldn't say I eat particularly healthy, I still don't eat as many snacks (working at a desk is dangerous for snacks!) and I do enjoy a few too many beers now and again but I have managed to keep the 6 pack (of beer) under control compared to a few years ago.

To throw a spanner in the low carb diet theory... @Prawny Baby lost a metric f**k tonne of weight even though the Slimming World diet he was on made no sense, he was eating pasta for breakfast every day because it was 'free' and 'unlimited' rather than a 'sin' :P 

13 hours ago, JD™ said:

What about... (and this is a tough one to wrap your head around, I know) ...both?

Dieting makes you fat. That means any diet. The act of being 'on' a diet inevitably means that the shitness of being human comes in at some point and you'll be 'off' said diet. Then you get fat, and/or unhealthy. Balance is the key(to).

I like eating lots of food and doing nothing. So both things are a chore. I feel like doing both is doubling up on the chores. I'd rather throw myself into one thing fully than casually do both.

Completely agree to your white text which I only saw because you spelled shittness wrong and I saw the red squiggle. I plan on only doing this diet for this month. It's too restrictive to stay on permanently for me personally... unless I feel different at the end of the month.

But what I've been eating before was basically pizza and pasta, two massive meals a day, one right before bed. So what I'm considering a diet would probably be considered normal eating to most.

So yeah, more lifestyle change than diet after this month.

11 hours ago, ooo said:

I'm on keto now, I use it every year, its really good if you know what you are doing. Check out the keto gains forum on reddit too. There is a ton of bullshit info on keto on the web so be careful.

@JT! Why are you on it ? Are you in keto yet ?

I started at midnight on the 1st of this month and have been under 25g of net carbs since then. Feel pretty much the same as I did before really, so couldn't tell you if I am or not but I should be.

I've always been interested in the diet. I don't feel like our bodies are supposed to be eating so much carbs and sugars as they aren't a natural food resource that we evolved to take in and this cuts them out. I weight 191lbs right now and am snug in 36 waist jeans. Going back to 5 years ago i was about 160lbs and wore 32 waist jeans. I've pretty much been living off carbs for 2-3 years. Love pastas and breads.

9 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

I like food too much to try that...

It's a pretty cool diet because you can still eat things like mayo, sour cream, bacon etc. Anything fatty or any meats is all good. Bacon and eggs for breakfast everyday with a cup of coffee with heavy cream in it. Not bad.

7 hours ago, haydon_peter said:

Like Mike said, do more.

I used to work in offices but was fairly active outside of work, I weighed more than I do now and had a visible beer storage system.

The past 2 summers and last winter I was living an extremely active lifestyle in a mountain town, I wasn't eating that healthy (pizza and burgers were a staple part of my diet, it was cheaper to buy day old pizza than make my own lunch!), I was drinking regularly and snacking less but I got much fitter and lost weight. I am still active and cycle regularly but I now work in a shop where I'm on my feet all day and have to cover 3 floors so am going up and down stairs constantly. I still wouldn't say I eat particularly healthy, I still don't eat as many snacks (working at a desk is dangerous for snacks!) and I do enjoy a few too many beers now and again but I have managed to keep the 6 pack (of beer) under control compared to a few years ago.

To throw a spanner in the low carb diet theory... @Prawny Baby lost a metric f**k tonne of weight even though the Slimming World diet he was on made no sense, he was eating pasta for breakfast every day because it was 'free' and 'unlimited' rather than a 'sin' :P 

I work in retail so that keeps me moving around a lot, but aside from that I don't do any exercise, obviously if I worked in a more physical job i wouldn't be overweight. I'll see how hard / non beneficial this is over the next month and go from there.

Glad you took that as meant rather than as a massive go. Sounds to me like you need a mindset change, which most people do when it comes to balance. Eating healthily can be enjoyable, you just have to find out which bit you enjoy about the process: is it cooking? Certain flavours that you can recreate more healthily? Maybe it's even growing an ingredient? Personally I found that something as small as growing chillies helped me make effort more often.

Its the same with fitness. It is enjoyable, you just have to find the bit you enjoy. You're on an activity forum, so we all know you are able to find activities you enjoy that are also physical enough to class as 'healthy'. 

Mindset change is is hard though, but fad diets certainly won't facilitate any sort of long term change.

1 hour ago, JT! said:

It's a pretty cool diet because you can still eat things like mayo, sour cream, bacon etc. Anything fatty or any meats is all good. Bacon and eggs for breakfast everyday with a cup of coffee with heavy cream in it. Not bad.

seriously? this is eating like a spoiled 4 year old, rationalised with some bogus science. keto diets are a fad and go against everything that's been known about nutrition.

i've been vegetarian for ages and eat basically carbs only and i've been fatter and leaner with the same kind of diet. what you want to achieve you can do easily with a bit of portion control / less junk food and an hour of exercise every other day.

i've heard (don't know for sure) that people with jobs like yours (lots of walking... ) still put on weight even though being active because you don't have a constant pulse rate above 100/120 or so for longer periods of time, which is needed to burn off fat.

1 hour ago, JT! said:

I don't feel like our bodies are supposed to be eating so much carbs and sugars as they aren't a natural food resource that we evolved to take in and this cuts them out.

http://www.popsci.com/adding-carbs-diet-helped-humans-develop-big-brains

Edited by jeff costello

28 minutes ago, jeff costello said:

seriously? this is eating like a spoiled 4 year old, rationalised with some bogus science. keto diets are a fad and go against everything that's been known about nutrition.

i've been vegetarian for ages and eat basically carbs only and i've been fatter and leaner with the same kind of diet. what you want to achieve you can do easily with a bit of portion control / less junk food and an hour of exercise every other day.

i've heard (don't know for sure) that people with jobs like yours (lots of walking... ) still put on weight even though being active because you don't have a constant pulse rate above 100/120 or so for longer periods of time, which is needed to burn off fat.

http://www.popsci.com/adding-carbs-diet-helped-humans-develop-big-brains

I'm not sure it's bogus. There's people who've lost 3 figured pounds on the diet, so it's not like it's useless.

I know eating less and exercising more will also work, this is just a different way about it... if it works for me.

Your statement about exercise I can agree with though.

As for the link, I'm not really looking to expand humans brain sises over the next 800,000 years... as selfish as that may be.

But yeah as I've said I'm just trying it out for a month, not running around preaching keto as the best thing ever.

2 hours ago, JT! said:

I think that might be just an 'incompatible' example, and I am definitely weird when it comes to food, but that doesn't sound like my idea of a nice breakfast. Still, I can definitely see where this diet is coming from, and it's great that some people can make it work for them (Y)

21 minutes ago, jeff costello said:

that link was just because your statement was about what bodies were supposed to be eating.

i'm willing to bet if you lose any weight, it's because you're consuming less calories than before.

Well yeah that's how every diet works, it's just how you go about eating less calories is what matters (or burning them off). The point to this diet is that you are more satisfied with what you eat and you eat less.

My caloric intake this month is a little under 1800 per day, my target goal is 2100. Before work in the afternoon I was going to Dominoes and getting probably close to 1500 in one meal. Then when I got home from work I'd be hungry by then. This has probably helped me cut 500 per day.

As for the link, I've also read that magic mushroom could have also be the cause of our human minds expanding. It doesn't really matter what got us here I feel that's kind of irreverent to what is considered good for you right now.

8 minutes ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

I think that might be just an 'incompatible' example, and I am definitely weird when it comes to food, but that doesn't sound like my idea of a nice breakfast. Still, I can definitely see where this diet is coming from, and it's great that some people can make it work for them (Y)

No me either. Always been a cereal guy. But sure does beat 2 slices of wheat toast.

• Like 1

i got the starch-story from bbc radio and just looked quickly for a link for it. it does sound a little more reputable than magic mushrooms...

i thought the keto-thing was about that mythical stage of "ketosis". the other thing than "how to reduce calory intake" is how much damage you do in the process. a month probably won't do much damage, but still.

People out here think I'm crazy but never been a peatnut butter fan. They put that shit on everything here.

25 minutes ago, jeff costello said:

i got the starch-story from bbc radio and just looked quickly for a link for it. it does sound a little more reputable than magic mushrooms...

i thought the keto-thing was about that mythical stage of "ketosis". the other thing than "how to reduce calory intake" is how much damage you do in the process. a month probably won't do much damage, but still.

I think there is something to having raised levels of ketones in your bloodstream. I'm not going to pretend to understand it all though. I think it's kind of a 6 of one half a dozen of the other kind of deal. From what I've read having higher levels of ketones in your body not only helps burn fat but also keeps you from feeling hungry, which I've certainly found over the last few days.

I don't really see how a month of this will cause any damage let alone "not much" damage. The scariest part for me is the electrolyte deficiency, if you don't keep on top of that you can experience headaches, muscle cramps and in severe cases arrhythmia. Keeping up on sodium is easy, magnesium and potassium, not so much.

I was brought up around type 1 diabetes so I know how much carbs will spike insulin, convert to fat and then the residual insulin will cause you to crash and make you feel hungry again. My father would often have issues with high blood sugar levels when he ate carbs because it's difficult to predict how much insulin to take when consuming large amounts. I think the body has the same issues too. I've only actually worked 1 day since starting this, so as far as energy levels, or at least avoiding those post-carb crashes, I've yet to see if this makes a difference.

Okay lots of people are chipping in without having researceh keto or tried it. There are plenty of people who have to live on keto their whole lives, many epileptics and diabetics live on keto. Keto has been used since the 60s at least in bodybuilding, it is not a fad, it is a natural state of the human body that mammals have used for millions of years.

@JT! Sorry but you can't just eat bacon and sausages and mayo, that's bullshit, that stuff is from the atkins diet which isn't keto but commonly gets mixed up. You can't have a balanced diet for weeks/months/years just eating that stuff. You can eat it now and then just like in a normal carb diet but it doesn't create the base of the diet.

You need a mix of sat and unsat fats, avoid stuff high in omega 6 like vegetable oil. Stick to lard, grassfed butter, coconut oil, olive oil and flax seed oil etc.. eat lean meat and then use quality fats to add on top to make you 80% or 60% ratio.

Add loads of veg and the lower carb stuf like leafy greens, spinach, and asparagus beans etc..

When you do eat carbs select them carefully, get either high vitamin carbs or high fibre.

You'll need around 2g of salt per day extra. And you will need to drink a lot more water on keto.

Doing keto wrong can mess you up, but its just like any nutritional plan you can't just eat dirty kebabs all the time.

The main thing about loosing weight, it that "eating less and doing more" only works if you want to loose around 5kg. When you try that you'll find you have to keep cutting calories and adding exercise until you are doing 2 hours of cardio and eating 1000 kcals per day and not loosing weight. All because your metabolic rate adjusts to be more calorie efficient, obviously!!. It is very common to plateau like this on a diet. So if you only need to loose a bit of weight keto is probably too much just reduce your carbs slightly and do more than you do now.

To loose weight long term you need to keep your metabolism high!! you you need to backload/refeed or cheat when you are on a diet. This bumps you back up.

Most asians have different genes which allow them to process carbs differently, they can eat much more. If you are white then you should be eating a much lower carb diet than is commonly eaten. This is why 10 million people a year die of heart disease.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ooo said:

@JT! Sorry but you can't just eat bacon and sausages and mayo, that's bullshit

Yeah never said that. I'm saying you can have those things. They aren't barred from the diet. Although a bacon mayo only diet does sound good and would make grocery shopping much easier.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JT! said:

Yeah never said that. I'm saying you can have those things. They aren't barred from the diet. Although a bacon mayo only diet does sound good and would make grocery shopping much easier.

Yes man i didn't mean to sound harsh its just thats the rumour that is spreading and people are making out like you can just live off that stuff. As long as you know the focus of the diet is just to eat normal balanced healthy stuff you'll get on okay. It is worth looking up carb refeeding because you can have a dominoes once a week and you will loose more weight.