Tracing an email provider

LEON

My boss has very helpfully given me the work Email and password I need, but not told me who he does his email with, I've tried all the big obvious ones, the only ones I know, Google, Hotmail, Wannadoo, Yahoo, Mail.com and a few others and absolutely nothing. Is there any way of knowing who he uses for Email? I'm not doing trial and error on hundreds of providers, but I don't know anything about that sort of stuff. It's just info@his company name.co.uk so no real giveaways.

He's in Cuba and can't be contacted.

Is it a microsoft exchange server?

Try: -

https://mail.domain name.co.uk/owa

that is the webmail address for our mail server at work. From there you should be able to use the username and password he gave you.

13 hours ago, ooo said:

mail.hisdomain.com sometimes a login page is put there.

http://mxtoolbox.com/

may help if the above doesn't work

I put the email address into that one and it gives a load of Googlemail links and IP addresses, is there anything I can do from there? I'm a total novice at this...

12 hours ago, forteh said:

Is it a microsoft exchange server?

Try: -

https://mail.domain name.co.uk/owa

that is the webmail address for our mail server at work. From there you should be able to use the username and password he gave you.

I tried that and put the address in the link but I couldn't get it to load properly. Again I'm totally useless at this. I don't know what an exchange server is lol, I've only ever used Hotmail so that's all I know.

Is there any way I could inbox someone the Email address and they find out which provider it's from?

just tried this with the email of the company i work at:

do a whois- search for your company's web adress (this: his_company_name.co.uk) at for example www.whois.net

in case of my company the server address listed after "nserver" is one from the company that does our emails.  no idea whether this works for you, but maybe worth a try?

Sorry I've tried all suggestions so far and I can't get anything to work, part of it is probably my lack of knowledge, but I've tried them all and I only got the Google links from the mxtoolbox. Is my boss an idiot for not telling me where to sign in?

1 hour ago, tomturd said:

Digitalocean won't have it's own webmail.

If you use MXToolkit, is there a load of googlemail stuff there? Like this: http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=mx%3atrials-forum.co.uk&run=toolpage

If so try your details again in mail.google.com

1 hour ago, tomturd said:

Yes that's exactly what comes up, but I tried signing in again at mail.google and nothing works.

58 minutes ago, Mikee said:

What is the business domain? I've had to track an email provider before.

His site is www.hpscleaning.co.uk the email is on the contact page.

48 minutes ago, ooo said:

if it was a google business mail account you should be able to login through any gmail login using username@hisdomain.com and your password but I think you tried that so maybe they have turned it off. maybe try signing in here to email

https://apps.google.com/intx/en_uk/

He definitely hasn't turned anything off as he left me to run the company for two weeks so I need to do everything he usually does. I tried that app link too but same again, no luck.

It's basically a rookie f**k up that's losing me work, so I'm less than pleased about it. Cheers for all the help so far!

Seems to me now that it's definitely a Google Apps setup, and I'd bet a dodgy password rather than anything else...

@LEON, if you're logged into Google through anything else log out or do this through a private window. Go back into the link @ooo sent through, and have another go. Take screenshots of any issues you have, someone will be able to help eventually. Your boss is a moron, by the way, for not making sure you knew what you were doing before he left.

Edited by JD™

7 minutes ago, JD™ said:

Seems to me now that it's definitely a Google Apps setup, and I'd bet a dodgy password rather than anything else...

@LEON, if you're logged into Google through anything else log out or do this through a private window. Go back into the link @ooo sent through, and have another go. Take screenshots of any issues you have, someone will be able to help eventually. Your boss is a moron, by the way, for not making sure you knew what you were doing before he left.

Unbelievable! I tried ooo's link through Google, accidentally changed a capital letter of the password to a lower case and I'm in!

In the email before he left he SPECIFICALLY said this letter alone was a capital letter, so it wasn't even an error! I never questioned it because he's usually so ocd about everything! Fuuuuuuuuuuuck!

Thanks everyone for your help. What a penis.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, LEON said:

Unbelievable! I tried ooo's link through Google, accidentally changed a capital letter of the password to a lower case and I'm in!

In the email before he left he SPECIFICALLY said this letter alone was a capital letter, so it wasn't even an error! I never questioned it because he's usually so ocd about everything! Fuuuuuuuuuuuck!

Thanks everyone for your help. What a penis.

I hope you have a good enough relationship with him to tell him he's a cock!