Newbie intro

Charub

Hi everyone, new to the forum (and sport) so thought I would start by introducing myself.

At the grand old age of 42, I have never so much as given cycle trials a cursory look - I have been missing out!! I've had an interest in cycling all my life. Started off in the eighties with the first wave of BMX's then later onto mountain bikes (easier for my then paper round!) never done anything serious though. I then moved onto motorbikes - mainly moto X, grasstrack and then a bit of road racing. Have also had a couple of Gas Gas TxT 250 trials bikes to knock around on. 

My Daughter is now riding an Oset (doing quite well in this winter series) and I thought I might get a cycle trials bike to follow between sections. Having looked on you tube, I can only say how blown away I am with the talent out there!! I know at my age I have missed the boat somewhat,  but what a fun way to keep fit.

LBS has a diamond back justice resolve in at the moment - mine for £150 if I want it. Not in greatest shape, but not too shabby. I'm only a small bloke 5' 6" if I really straighten my back - would I be better off with 20" onza? I don't want to spend much, as I'm never going to set the world a light at my age and if worst comes to worst it will be great transport back from the pub!!

any thoughts/recomondations will be appreciated (and yes, I know I should be looking for a Zimmer frame really)

Firstly, welcome to the forum! Secondly a bike with no seat will be awful for getting home from the pub :P

It sounds like you have a pretty comprehensive biking background so it all comes down to what you feel comfortable on, maybe have a ride on the justice and see how you feel? I'd have thought you'd be more at home on a mod (20") rather than a stock (26") however if you've been riding moto trials a mod is likely to feel extremely unsteady and twitchy! 

Where are you based? I'm sure someone near you would let you ride their bike to test it out. 

Thanks for the reply. I quite fancy the Ashton - I'm not sure but I think it is an early red/white one. Seat is missing, I'm not really sure of the spec it has mag rear brake and front disc. That's about the depth of my knowledge of it at the moment.

i guess I'm asking, is it worth a punt at that money? If I decide to sell on (when I get bored) will I get my money back?

i have also been offered a onza T-bird with front and rear mags for £60.00

Without pictures of it to show the spec it's very hard to say definitively what it's worth, I spent 3 seconds looking on google and couldn't find the original spec but I assume it is fairly standard. 

As to whether you'd be able to sell it for the same price, the trials second hand market is strange as it is such a niche sport but if you found a buyer you could probably shift it for ~the same money. The question to ask yourself is whether you're likely to get £150's worth of fun out of it, it's not a huge sum of money to spend to get into a sport which it sounds like you would have fun learning. 

Unless you can get a go of a few bikes think you should take the plunge with something you think will suit you and give it a go. I like you have come at bike trials quite late but after a life of riding bmx and dirt jumps in the 80's, motor cross through the 90's, then mtb and now trials. Ive found if you are used to being on 2 wheels you'll take to it. Personally i ride a 24inch echo  trials bike but also have a 24 inch inspired. Wanted something smaller than my mtb but not as small as a 20inch and i find 24inch works for me. Had a go of a mates 26 inch and i find i can ride that too to be honest. Where are you based?

Thanks for the replies. 

I havnt checked back in here for a while. In the meantime I found a cheap Onza SKA for £80 - in pretty good nick. 

I know it's probably not the best bike and the brakes are pretty mediocre. I will keep an eye out while I practice. 

My trackstands are fine, I'm now trying rear wheel hops (unsuccessfully at the moment)

anyway, I'm enjoying it and it's a great way of working off a middle age paunch!

on a completely different note, I took my children to Hastings today and visited Source BMX. For those of you that are interested, they have just relocated to the derelict ice rink building - look it up it is pretty impressive. 

Daviesdt - I'm in kent. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good work! You are as old as you feel in my opinion. The level of riding out there now is insane, I'm blown away by it all.  

To me it's all about fun and releasing them endorphins! If you get home after a play and your grinning what's there not to like! 

I have a mod that I use for more technical things and just bouncing generally. But also have a more street orientated 24" that is my 'go-to' bike. 

The 20" will be ideal to start with and learn the majority of basics, and possibly easier to manoeuvre. 

It may be worth getting to a couple of competitions or organised rides, that's my intentions and no doubt will take the kids with me!