Riders near to Preston?

proN1low

@proN1low

I can't help with riders but if you ride preston docks as the weather gets better you will most likely meet some people over the course of the summer. As far as I know people from all over the north still have it as a 'I want to ride there' place to ride. You might actually run into me at some point if I get the opportunity (I'm 70miles away by road or a 3hr train)

I've copied the coordinates off google maps to give you a bit of a head start as to where to ride, unfortunately a postcode isn't accurate enough in this case. Open google maps up and copy/paste them into the search

Spot no.1: 53°45'41.0"N 2°44'25.7"W (Look for/smell the fried food van)

Spot 2: 53°45'39.8"N 2°44'30.5"W and 53°45'37.1"N 2°44'36.7"W (these are in a ton of videos, including a lot of tarty's vids)

Spot 3 (optional): 53.758670, -2.750177

Hope that's helpful in some way :-)

EDIT: You know what? I'll do the same for other places I've ridden just to get you started;

Morecambe Skatepark - Traditional meeting place for group rides as the train station is across the road.

Morecambe Seafront: Highly recommended mixed street, TGS and rocks (Check tarty, Ali C and Flipp vids)

'Fountains'

'6ft wall gap'

'second levels'

'The bin gap'

'Climbing wall'

Blackpool Moon Rocks - 53°49'59.4"N 3°03'20.9"W Miles of grippy natural rock to play on - There is also the karting practice track in the middle so sometimes some entertainment.

Trek on up the prom and cleveleys promenade can be good if you want to chill-ride in the sun and watch the scenery - 53.833165, -3.055806

That lot should keep you going nicely. Get out there and you should meet people.

Edited by CC12345678910
  • Like 2

If you have a bit of an explore near Preston Bus Station there are a few blocks and bits to ride there, and just up from there behind Preston Court and by the student halls of residence there are a bunch of walls/setups/blocks to ride too (which you can see some of here.  If you go up those stairs, on the left you'll find some fun angled blocks).  Just on from there again around the uni buildings there are some new spots that have been built (again just some walls of different heights, gaps, benches, etc.).  I can't remember where they are exactly as I kind of found them by just having a pedal around and getting lost in that area, but if you do the same you should spot some things :) 

From the Courts, if you follow the A6 up away from the bus station you'll pass a load of random wall setups, as well as some rocks dotted around the place.  There are a few different setups in the estates around there too.  There are some blocks, flat banks, a wall ride, some low-ish box section rails and a few other bits and pieces by Preston North End football stadium (a rough idea of it here), and if you're up by there you're also only a 5-10min ride from the Docks which Ciaran posted some locations up for earlier.

If you're ever desperate for a ride, there's a completely covered over loading bay directly opposite the court (it's in the shadow-y part that Maps should have you looking at here).  Just on from there towards the Market Square there are some curved benches that are fun to play on, and near there are some walls and rocks too (they're tucked up behind the bushes here).

17 hours ago, proN1low said:

thank you very much! :)

14 hours ago, Daviesdt said:

@CC12345678910 thats an epic post man, gonna check some of them spots myself and only in Manchester! Nice one.

I'd like to say "ahh s'no problem like", but honestly, It took me the better part of an hour to do that write up, mainly thwarted by the fact that I couldn't remember where the moon rocks are, in relation to something on a map that is (for ref. it is Glynn Square), and the only postcode I could find stated (actually google dredged an old TF thread about the comp ~2012 as it happens) was about a half - 3/4 mile closer to the tower (about where the steps that are also a sea defence are, i.e. no where f*cking near). This then left me on an aimless wild goose chase trying to cross reference blackpool north train station with the pay and display carpark across from that building with the stairs in, that you use to get off the upper prom and down to the seawall/bottom of the moonrocks, Grrr.

This collamatous pain in the arse was the motivation to edit and amend my post - The usual sketchy directions like 'find the roundabout and you're there' ain't no good to anyone, hence the cooridinates. Using coordinates you'll never be lost by more than 10 metres.

Either way you are very welcome - it's the kind of information I'd want to see popping out of my computer if I was a noob, it's only fair.

I'd just like to make one contridiction to the stuff Mark said, deep dale is nearer half hour away from the docks by bike, using my experience of once doing an "oh sh*t I'm late for the train" dash from the docks back to the train station, past halfords, down that road with the shunting sidings on, bare left at the car dealership and walk/push up that sodding great hill up to town, but did I buggery do it in less than 10mins - aaand I damn near keeled over in ticket hall doing so. I'd guesstimate that PNE stadium is at least that far again, unless there is some other way I don't know about of course. Or my sense of direction has had a fail...

Edited by CC12345678910
  • Like 1

I'd disagree with that on the basis that I live one side of Moor Park, and I can ride from my house to the docks in under 10mins comfortably.  It's about a 3-4min ride to Deepdale from my place.  You don't need to go anywhere near the train station.  Google Maps says 15mins by bike, but they seem to be taking a pretty weird route.  It's also pretty much all downhill from there to the docks.

route.png

Fair enough I did leave myself open to that. I'm in no way local and have only been past it in a van going to somewhere like ukmail or the docks. I remember it as being on * or close to a 2 lane city road that ends up going past that massive red brick factory with the 100ft odd high chimney? My mate lives out broughton way and just ferries us places, to be honest there's times i'm not really sure where i am, and It all somehow looks different on the bike anyhow.

edit:  * just remembered where I'm on about has a shopping park opposite, maybe a different entrance?  

Edited by CC12345678910

I've always lived on the Wirral, about an hours drive from Preston and always rode rocks along the coastlines of wirral.

Recently moved a bit higher up north, outskirts of Liverpool/going into Lancashire and it's about 20/25 minutes to Preston so I'm always up to see what's about 

Callum

• 4 weeks later...