Could you kill a wounded rabbit?

bikeperson45

Do you kill the rabbit  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you kill the rabbit

• Yes, old fashioned neck break
    • Yes, club with a rock
    • No

You're on a walk with your dog (yes you have a dog for this) and it comes back and drops a chewed up rabbit at your feet. Dog runs off, probably to maim more rabbits, and you're left with a screaming rabbit. Do you put it out of it's misery or leave it for nature to do it's own, much slower and painful, thing? 

I had to do it with a deer years back. It had got itself trapped in a barbed wire fence, broken it's leg and damn near ripped through it's throat. Not fun, but definitely the kindest thing. 

Done it several times. Quite often get rabbits in the garden in summer moth mixi. A swift crack to the head does the trick.

I hit a deer in my work van a few years back. Hit it so hard it bent all the radiator etc, and left the poor thing in a bad way. Knew I had to kill it to put it out of its misery. Looked in my van for the most suitable tool, I had either a hammer, a knife, or a hacksaw. I chose the hammer, and clouted it several times as hard as I could between the eyes. Killed it the first time for sure, but the twitching afterwards made it appear alive still, so gave it a few more for good measure. I would have looked like an absolute mad man had anybody driven past, but fortunately it was on a quiet country lane.

I'd have no reservations about putting an animal that was in obvious untreatable pain out of its misery.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, george_seamons said:

Done it several times. Quite often get rabbits in the garden in summer moth mixi. A swift crack to the head does the trick.

I hit a deer in my work van a few years back. Hit it so hard it bent all the radiator etc, and left the poor thing in a bad way. Knew I had to kill it to put it out of its misery. Looked in my van for the most suitable tool, I had either a hammer, a knife, or a hacksaw. I chose the hammer, and clouted it several times as hard as I could between the eyes. Killed it the first time for sure, but the twitching afterwards made it appear alive still, so gave it a few more for good measure. I would have looked like an absolute mad man had anybody driven past, but fortunately it was on a quiet country lane.

I'd have no reservations about putting an animal that was in obvious untreatable pain out of its misery.

What about the cat which clashed into the Toledo? 

I couldn't kill an animal intentionally, I'm a total pussy and a poor excuse for a farm boy.

Edited by CurtisRider

Done it on a few occasions. Normally just stamp on their head. 

Came across a sheep that had been mauled by a dog and then had it's eyes pecked out by crows too. Poor thing was not in a good way. Had to club that one with a rock, then drive round to the farm to let them know

1 hour ago, CurtisRider said:

What about the cat which clashed into the Toledo? 

I couldn't kill an animal intentionally, I'm a total pussy and a poor excuse for a farm boy.

Ah yes! Poor thing jumped out at me on a 60mph road, stood no chance. Stopped and went back to check it, and it was still alive, but totally mangled...so decided the best thing was to drive over it again (it wouldn't let me get anywhere near it to do it humanely). 

Didn't have a collar or anything on, so couldn't even find the owners to let them know :(

I thought I had rescued a baby rabbit one day, years ago.

Got it home and it was practically dead. So put it in a polly bag, took it to the wheelie bin, swung the bag round in circles till I was about to take off and let it go into the bin.

I was sure the thud killed it. Didn't bother checking.

28 minutes ago, Ross McArthur said:

I thought I had rescued a baby rabbit one day, years ago.

Got it home and it was practically dead. So put it in a polly bag, took it to the wheelie bin, swung the bag round in circles till I was about to take off and let it go into the bin.

I was sure the thud killed it. Didn't bother checking.

lol, What was your plan if it was alive ?