WARNING: Car polishing content: What polish?

N.Wood

Hello you guys.

Just got a new wagon and want to have a go at removing some light swirls and holograms.

It's a 12 plate VW in deep black pearl.

Whats the best polish for applying by hand? I'm gonna do it over a few days so the time element of not using a rotary / da doesn't bother me.

Thanks!

PB Black Hole is a decent glaze on dark cars for sure. Used it a few times on my old Leon and it gave decent results.

With regards to getting rid of light swirls, I've had some success with a load of G3 Paint Renovator/one of them the name of which I forget. Can pick it up fairly cheap in some HellFrauds stores. If you're not wanting to go to machine polishing lengths then something along those lines would be worth a pop I'd imagine (Y)

Is there any quick, easy, cheap and effective way of applying some sort of waxy stuff to a car?  I ought to keep on top of keeping the smax shiny but I'm shite at washing cars, not tall enough to reach all of the roof and don't have the inclination to wash regularly.  A friend runs a mobile valet service and says he can do it for 35 quid ish for wash, wax and hoover - is this realistically my best option? :)

22 hours ago, dann2707 said:
22 hours ago, dann2707 said:

You can't remove swirls and holograms by hand mate you need a machine.

Why not? Surely by hand just means it will take longer and deeper scratches will be harder to remove? A rotary put the holograms there in the first place.

22 hours ago, Danny said:

Ive never tried it but Poor Boys - Black Hole is supposed to be good for dark cars - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/glazes/poorboys-black-hole/prod_494.html

It's a bit more of a cover up for fine swirls but if your doing it by hand its probably ok.

Thanks, heard good stuff about this so will give it a go (Y)

22 hours ago, Luke Rainbird said:

PB Black Hole is a decent glaze on dark cars for sure. Used it a few times on my old Leon and it gave decent results.

With regards to getting rid of light swirls, I've had some success with a load of G3 Paint Renovator/one of them the name of which I forget. Can pick it up fairly cheap in some HellFrauds stores. If you're not wanting to go to machine polishing lengths then something along those lines would be worth a pop I'd imagine (Y)

Cool, just got some G3 swirl remover / renovator whatsit and from a quick go in the dusky light it seems to do the job, feels like it actually has some cutting ability which is good, my trusty super resin polish feels very smooth after but is good to bring the shine up after.

10 hours ago, forteh said:

Is there any quick, easy, cheap and effective way of applying some sort of waxy stuff to a car?  I ought to keep on top of keeping the smax shiny but I'm shite at washing cars, not tall enough to reach all of the roof and don't have the inclination to wash regularly.  A friend runs a mobile valet service and says he can do it for 35 quid ish for wash, wax and hoover - is this realistically my best option? :)

I've used Autoglym Extra gloss protection sealant on my Skoda for years and found that really good, it was silver so depth of colour wasnt really there anyway, so a sealant was all it needed rather than a wax.

Anyway, once polished, you just put a bit on a cloth (its very thin, like meths or water) and literally wipe on the surface (no rubbing) and after a few mins it goes cloudy. After about 20 mins you just need to rub it off, which is does so easily. Seems to last for around 4 months and kept the water beading very well, and easier to wash shit off when it did get dirty.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jolfa said:

Whut?! :huh:

I'm not even getting into this, if you think you can remove scratches by hand then be my guest and try it (for dayzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

Sure you'll make friction but not enough to even touch the clear coat. 

But the scratches are in the clear coat?

I'd understand what you're saying if I was trying to remove deep scratches but for light marring I don't really see why it can't be done by hand? It's like saying you cant sand a bit of wood without a machine sander. It's the polish / compound thats doing the work, you just make it go round and round in circles like a rotary does.

Anyway I'll see if I can do it and report back.