Facebook promoting gurus

Duncy H

Is there anyone on here that has any tips for me in terms of Facebook promoting? It is for a pub I manage at the moment and I'm basically after reaching out to as many people as possible however I am new to this side of things.

Is there anything that's really worth doing and anything particularly worth avoiding? We've boosted the odd post here and there but thats as far as its gone at the moment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Main tip from me is "don't use the boost post button". I wrote a, now really outdated, blog on it a while ago.

Other tip is don't fall into the "as many people as possible" trap. You don't want as many people as possible, you want as many people who already love your pub but don't know it exists yet. That comes from analysing the current patrons of the pub, finding the actual patterns (no gut feeling here), and then replicating that audience through Ads Manager.

If you can be strict with yourself on both of those counts, Facebook Ads are some of the highest ROI spend you'll make online.

Although it's probably pretty obvious too, not posting shit stuff is a really good way of getting more people seeing it too.  When we post what I'd class as "good" content, we generally get way more overall reach and interaction than just average, day-to-day type stuff, and if we hit a streak of that good content it seems to generally make a reasonable difference overall.

As JD said, we found that going for people who are likely to be interested in us works better too.  We used to keep more tabs on who was doing what online, and our interaction level was generally better because we didn't just go out and do a million "Like and share" type posts to just get as many Likes as possible, irrespective of whether they're actual useful.

We do just generally wing it though, so none of what I've said there is gospel or anything, just what seems to work for us.

EDIT:  Also, the way the stats that FB used to quote relating to posts and their performance in their "How about you boost this shit?" pop-ups bore no relation to reality was a little off-putting.

Kind of related I have always wondered about videos on Facebook in ads as you will see a add with for example 1,000 likes on a video but at the side of the video a claimed 400,000 views. Does that just mean that amount of people have scrolled past it?  

I think for a pub you'd be more wanting to push your trip adviser so getting your locals to give you feed back in person and then online there. Loads of people do it these days and loads of people find local pubs and such on that site if they new of just visiting that area. 

7 minutes ago, Paperclip said:

Kind of related I have always wondered about videos on Facebook in ads as you will see a add with for example 1,000 likes on a video but at the side of the video a claimed 400,000 views. Does that just mean that amount of people have scrolled past it?  

Not certain but I think it's 3 seconds a video has to play for for it to be a 'view' and with autoplay that's how they get the higher numbers

• Like 1

Yeah, it's on 3secs and the autoplays all count by the sounds of things hence FB videos having disproportionately higher viewing numbers than Youtube or Vimeo, which in turn allows Facebook to charge people more.  They've absolutely nailed that system.

• 2 weeks later...

When I used to help manage a page for a bike park we would get way more interaction when we posted quality content. Good content included photos, videos, posters for races/events. Generally if a post was only text it would be ignored even if it included important information we needed to get out to people. In the early days all the main guys involved would make sure we liked and shared important posts in the hope we would get the content out to more people.

Paperclip also has a very good point. If I'm away somewhere and wanting to know a good place to go I wouldn't be using facebook to find it, I would be speaking with locals and looking on sites like trip advisor. I also know several people who will not eat somewhere unless it gets at least a 4/5 on http://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/