Advice for the older beginner

Peter Pan

Hello Everyone.

There's loads of info, videos and advice on building the skills for trials riding but I'm wondering if there is anything specific for helping a 50 year old rider get into trials riding? Any particular skill building drills to overcome the wear & tear of life? Obvious I don't expect to be able to get up some things - the elastic isn't quite as bouncy these days!

I got an Onza T-pro to help improve my balance & technical ability on a MTB. The Onza is a lot more convenient to muck about with in the yard (& less cringing to drop) than a full susser. However, the whole trials discipline is starting to draw me in.....the skill is terrific!! I now also have a stock 26" and that is making it even more of an ambition to ride trials.

Are there riders riding trials in their 50s? Is there a "veteran" category at events?

p.s. is there a good practice venue in Snowdonia - I'm getting a little jaded with my back yard & a couple of pallets. I've started looking for a natural venue but I could be at it a while so I'm hoping someone has some beta.

Hi welcome to trials!. I can't help much but in my opinion the body heals and learns a bit slower as you get older. I don't know how fit you are either. But it is good to look after yourself more try and work on general flexibility and balance, anything similar to yoga or stretching etc.. what ever you like. But I find trials doesn't make you fit, you need to be fit to ride trials. Let yourself heal if you are sore too.

As for meetups / locations, maybe post here:

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/8-member-organised-rides/

Alright Pete, just turned 40 myself so guess i class myself as a older rider these days (not quite sure how that happened...). I fu@ked my back doing a rolling pedal up onto a ledge about 6 weeks ago, been off the bike since while a get strength and flexibilty back. I was ill the week before and spent a week in bed, didnt realise how much my back had tightened while i was recuperating and i blame that on the back injury. What i did was over extend my back as i tried to tuck the bike up in front of me to land my back wheel, unbelievably painful.  What ooo says is good advice in my mind, put big emphasis on flexibilty in your training now so its there when you are ready for bigger moves, make sure you can comfortably touch your toes while your legs are straight, lower back rotation is needed for a lot of things in trials imo. As for locations, see some guys riding street in rhos on sea and llandudno. Pure trials, what about ogwen pass near llyn idwal or llanberis pass? Should imagine you'd be spoilt for choice in snowdonia?

Thanks for the replies, all encouraging. It sounds like its not pie in the sky for me, I've just got to keep it real. The fitness angle has always been important, I seem to live my non-work, non-family hours doing a mixture of climbing, mountaineering, fell running, cycling, surfing and recovering through sleep, yoga & stretches. Looks like its going to be lots & lots of work on developing skills and avoiding prangs. New aches in muscles new to trials moves.

Also good to see suggestions about locations. The Ogwen valley (Tryfan etc) is five miles away and I have been eyeing the rocks around the base of Tryfan, ...for the climbers: below "Soapgut" and "Direct Route". A bit advanced but it would be good to do one day - or encourage a few riders over for a bit of an evening thing later in the summer. However, looking at the lakeside there are areas where I could make a fool of myself without breaking something. That's my objective for a quiet evening in mid-May and I bet the bloody midges get me!!!

I think its skipping pallets for a few more weeks but your replies have left me encouraged, thanks. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi  just 2 cent from a young gun (39, 2months from level 4.0 :-) ).. I find shoulder mobility is important to + general flexibility....and varm up the body BEFORE during explosif moves like sidehops/gaps etc...but once its varm you can do anything...Enjoy