Room renting contracts

bikeperson45

So I've been sent a contract for a room to rent I'm tempted by, it's through an agency.

Contract is very specific about a few things like no over night guests without consent, no musical instruments. So, my question is how likely is it these things are strict? I imagine it's saying these things on paper but in reality it comes down to not being annoying with the housemates. But the £15 for each warning letter fee is worrying me?

Any similar experiences? 

Had that on contracts before.  I think it's more of a twat deterrent - I'm also not supposed to have a bike in my room and stuff like that, but if you're not be a twat about stuff I'd imagine it'll be fine.

I'd be more concerned about the £15 warning letter shit.  That's the kind of thing that'd put me off wanting to be involved with that company in any way.

• Like 1

The other terms sound like standard affair, gives them extra clout over and above the law if you take the piss. I wouldn't worry.

The £15 warning thing sounds unenforceable. I would ask them to remove that from the contract before you sign it. If they won't then move on - they are clearly pricks of the highest order (like most lettings agencies).

...and also, what's the score with a warning being ill-founded?  Would you still have to pay?  Otherwise they could just scattergun 'warnings' at you constantly for random infringements and just claim money off you, theoretically.  

• Like 1

I've spoken to one of the housemates now and seems like what you guys are saying - the term 'twat deterrent' was just presented differently :P

The agency are pretty good about sending emails instead of letters and I've got it in writing from the agent that instruments are fine if you're not being a tool about it. Seems they're just covering their backs a lot, so I'm just going to ask a few more questions and hopefully finally get out of the house 

• Like 1