cost of carbon

ogre

i know carbon doesn't have much of a hold in trials but as bike folk it's always cool to see; i've stolen this from pink bike but here is a carbon frame and every piece of carbon that is put together to make it. compared to 8+ tubes and some lugs this is mental :D 

p5pb13401476.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah normally lay a great big sheet out and use a CNC laser cutter to cut the sections out. It's the fact that each section has to be laid and rolled by hand before a bladder or foam core is inserted and the mould put in an autoclave. Then a lot of the time the frames need hand finishing before they resemble the finished product. Soooo labour intensive, why 99% of all carbon frames are produced in the far east. There are a few mtb companies that are starting to make home grown carbon frames, Cesar Rojo's Unno (pictured above, who I think are Spanish), Alchemy from America and now Hope. Be interesting to see what the UK RRPs are for these frames and how much more it is than other frames available on the market.

Hope-RB211-8411.jpg

http://www.hopetech.com/hb-211/