Ali C Vlog

Dman

I LOVE it! I love the comments. "You usually see the nice polished edit". "Sometimes you spend hours to get just one thing done". 

Reminds me of what I think every time I go out and ride. Not those kind of lines though. The head cam footage made it for me although I usually don't like it. The comments made it unique.

Yes in my opinion get a gimbal for the pov views, and point camera up a bit, id rather see more of it tripod shot and the real techy bits from pov, really good though and im sure they will get better and better.

I'm genuinely surprised it's going down this well. I've been reluctant to do this kind of thing before firstly because I'm a bit shy sometimes and secondly I never thought they were that good, I've always liked quality over quantity but now I see that that's me sticking to the old ways rather than moving with the times....doing these seems like a great way to bring people closer to the riding and the reality of it all.

I've bought a couple of things that'll hopefully help with getting some better shots and I've plenty of ideas for my next episodes.

Cheers everyone!

• Like 8

This is going to be a really cool platform for you Ali. It's a welcome change from having a 25 second interview for TV or a 'speaking part' in promotions, this definitely gives you far more scope to show your creative process and give a better insight to who you are as a person. 

How often are you looking to produce videos? Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. 

I'm hoping fairly often but it's tricky not to just rush out a load of material and then not be able to think of content. I've a few ideas, I'll maybe put one out every month or every other week depending on how it goes.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Ali C said:

I'm hoping fairly often but it's tricky not to just rush out a load of material and then not be able to think of content. I've a few ideas, I'll maybe put one out every month or every other week depending on how it goes.

Monthly (Y)

Loved it, looking forward to the second. 

Listening to what runs through your mind during a line is interesting and relatable! Like you said you don't see the attempts over and over again in finished/polished videos which hopefully will help new riders understand that even pro riders don't walk out the womb and ride perfectly! Wish something like this was about when I started riding! Brilliant video!!  :D:D:D 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dman said:

Yes in my opinion get a gimbal for the pov views, and point camera up a bit, id rather see more of it tripod shot and the real techy bits from pov, really good though and im sure they will get better and better.

I actually enjoyed the POV footage a lot since it's and angle you don't usually get to see.
In my opinion the camera can stay pointed as it is too. (I chronically point it too far up myself, maybe that's why. :p)

• Like 1

I think in this day and age TV is starting to become a thing of the past and YouTube and people's blogs, online content is getting bigger and bigger. 

This is the first time a well known person is doing blogs on trials bikes so a big congrats to Ali and hope it takes off for you, I certainly enjoyed it and hope to see more 

• Like 3

I was just wondering. At your level of riding, do you get any better? I really enjoyed this sort of video as it shows the reality of riding but was always thinking of my own little blog. From month to month I can see little improvements but only have been riding since 2013. 

Edited by niconj
  • Like 1

good question, I've been riding for 20 years now and progression has definitely slowed down but I don't think it's stopped.

That's one reason why I changed from competitions to street, I felt I was just doing the same thing over and over and trying to get a couple more inches stopped appealing. I started street and then there was a whole new world to discover and I feel I progressed quite quickly. I still have days where I feel like I've not got anywhere or even gone backwards but then there's days I feel like I just conquered a mountain progression wise.

One thing I've realised is age isn't a barrier, it's all in the mind and riding as much as possible is important to keep progressing. 

Edit: Speaking of progressing, I just managed to get up a rock I've been trying for the last two years, so I guess I'm still progressing

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ali C said:

One thing I've realised is age isn't a barrier

I think circumstance plays a big part though. When you're 16 you feel like you're invincible, but if you're married with 3 kids and a mortgage, I can imagine you'd be less prepared to take a risk for fear of breaking a leg.

8 hours ago, Ali C said:

it's all in the mind and riding as much as possible is important to keep progressing.

Correct.

Great video by the way. Very insightful.

12 minutes ago, Stephen Morris said:

I think circumstance plays a big part though. When you're 16 you feel like you're invincible, but if you're married with 3 kids and a mortgage, I can imagine you'd be less prepared to take a risk for fear of breaking a leg.

Correct.

Great video by the way. Very insightful.

Im basically that, started at 30 now nearly 35, its definately all in the mindset and thats whats stopping my progression faster, i am scared of doing certain things, just in case i do get hurt and cant do other things. I hate feeling like that when i ride, its good when you manage to beat the fear and pull something off though.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dman said:

i am scared of doing certain things

This. I'm too scared most of the times. Hell, I was even scared of pedal kicking up a curb when I started riding three years ago. Then again, a curb can be dangerous sometimes. :D

Edited by niconj
  • Like 1

I've got an idea, hear me out:

-We love the live commentary and "some" headcam footage.

-We'd rather a tripod setup, but WITH commentary.

So my idea would be to do a split screen for some lines? Like get 2 cameras 1 in a tripod and 1 on your head, so that way we can hear your commentary while you do the lines, but also get to see the full thing from a different angle.

Half the screen would be your headcam with audio, the other half would be a tripod camera. 

Not for every single bit of the video but for the lines you make, it'd be awesome!

• Like 2

I did think a longer bike could ride the place better, I think I'd be so rusty that I couldn't do any more than I can on my current bike though.

I went out filming yesterday and I took a small tripod with me. I don't think it's perfect but the split screen could be an idea, it's all early days and I'm still finding my feet on the best way to get things done, thanks for the suggestions though 

• Like 2