Ali C Vlog

Dman

Yeah, was a cool one.  First one I've seen for a little bit so I might be a bit late on this, but it's cool you're developing a bit more of a distinct style/way of doing these videos now, like the little captions and stuff.

Forgive my ignorance i watched the vlog about unwritten rules though isn't a kick hop basically a bitch crank? i understand bitch cranks being bad in bmx as its more fluid but seeing as a lot of trials starts from a static position a bitch crank is kind of a necessity. 

to me it's all about correcting mistakes, if you're bitch hopping in a manual then a mistakes been made and you're correcting it with a hop. With manual 180s, it's just a lesser way of doing the same move. Either get everything perfect and get a hop or just get it roughly right and fix with a crank, BMXers get called out for them all the time, I don't see why it's any different for trials.

Pedal kicks (like in a static gap) are a specific technique that can't be done any other way, completely different from a bitch crank.

• Like 2

i don't know many people doing a bitch hop in a manual to be fair. i know a bitch crank in a manual is usually to increase the pump if your losing momentum and feeling the front end dropping. my personal view is a bitch crank would be similar aesthetically as a pedal kick as its the same thing your just using the momentum it brings differently. 

I got lost in a YouTube Ali C Vlog k hole last night. 

Help me understand which way do trials riders inherently learn to spin? And which way did you have to learn it to hemp you with bunny hopping over bars/180 bunnies? I think it was hard for me to follow as a left foot forward tired person...

I've always spun clockwise, towards my non-chocolate foot. This year I began trying to spin towards my chocolate foot and man is it hard. I was happy seeing all of your bails in the manual to 180 bunnyhop line as I often feel like a weirdo flailing off my bike 50 times in a row in a little parking lot near my house.

looking forward to the next 

1 hour ago, uk24 said:

i don't know many people doing a bitch hop in a manual to be fair. i know a bitch crank in a manual is usually to increase the pump if your losing momentum and feeling the front end dropping. my personal view is a bitch crank would be similar aesthetically as a pedal kick as its the same thing your just using the momentum it brings differently. 

I've seen it recently, if your cranking in manuals you didn't get the manual. Most of my manuals I feather the brake so they aren't technically manuals they are rear wheel endos/stoppies. A bitch crank and pedal kicks are different things, ones a move and ones just to keep something going or spin easier.

@AndyT If right foot forward spin left, if left forward spin right. It you do it differently that's oppo.

Edited by Dman
  • Like 1

I don't really see feathering the brake as being the same though - look at it for a manual 180, for example.  Putting a kick in for the 180 generates you all the power/momentum you need, so you don't even need to really carve the manual at all or even keep the front end that high, you can just steam straight on then just kick harder to get the spin at the end.  With dabbing a brake you don't get that at all, it just drops the front rather than allowing you to actually generate the movement you need for anything.

• Like 1

dabbing the brake is one of the lesser rules, it depends on the final outcome I think. If you can use it without it making and jerky movements or taking away any flow then its fine but if your'e totally dependant on it and it effects your style then that's not as good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like helmets my head can sit "into", meaning the helmet kind of holds itself in place without the need for the strap holding it on.

18 minutes ago, Rusevelt said:

Pity we couldn't see on-camera if you used a dab of bitch-crank during that impressively long manual roll down the street in Vlog10/Brakeless. 

Yea, I mean, for all we know it could have been a wheelie!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jeff costello said:

is it really safe to have the helmet strap that loose?? (not only that kid, you too, ali)

this is not helmet-shaming! i always feel like i have to have mine tight and proper, but then it really annoys me most of the time.

I think it loosens off over time, I normally have it fairly proper (especially if I have a gopro on as they exaggerate any movement which I dislike). 

• Like 1

Here is another lesser rule. Nose manuals with the front brake on are not nose manuals.

As with any rule, there are exceptions. If slowing down or coming to a stop is part of the trick, then you get a pass. If you are just doing a nose manual and coming off the end of the pad with speed, no brake please!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jamesb said:

Here is another lesser rule. Nose manuals with the front brake on are not nose manuals.

As with any rule, there are exceptions. If slowing down or coming to a stop is part of the trick, then you get a pass. If you are just doing a nose manual and coming off the end of the pad with speed, no brake please!

I totally agree, I've heard people describe some of my stoppies as nose manuals and I usually try to explain the difference