Ali C Vlog

Dman

I missed the ethics comment as I wasn't really paying attention to the "lyrics" on this vlog entry. I did have to use my tissues though...

edit: I had a look at it again. @Ross McArthur your explanation makes even less sense to me than the question of ethics comment in the video.

Edited by niconj

2 hours ago, niconj said:

the question of ethics

Ali didn't pull the line, but the question was whether to settle for a kind of pulled line or not.  Basically, if that was a 'proper' video I (and Ali too) wouldn't have accepted that.

• Like 2

I think I'm just wanting something that means I can get more content out, I've always been a quality over quantity person which is why I only let people see the finished edit in stuff like Clean videos. That has it's plus points as it means people will hold you in high regard riding wise but it's also a double edged sword in that people don't see how long it takes to land stuff and they'll actually think I'm a better rider than I am and potentially be disappointed if they were to see me in person. I don't ride big banger lines every day so these kind of videos are just more "real".

The other side is that Danny has the "epic" video thing to a point and no matter how hard all his fans try, they'll always be second to him at that video style. These Vlogs are a way for me to be different in a crowd of people all trying to do the same thing, I don't want to be a Danny copy, I want to be known as myself.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Ali C said:

I think I'm just wanting something that means I can get more content out, I've always been a quality over quantity person which is why I only let people see the finished edit in stuff like Clean videos. That has it's plus points as it means people will hold you in high regard riding wise but it's also a double edged sword in that people don't see how long it takes to land stuff and they'll actually think I'm a better rider than I am and potentially be disappointed if they were to see me in person. I don't ride big banger lines every day so these kind of videos are just more "real".

The other side is that Danny has the "epic" video thing to a point and no matter how hard all his fans try, they'll always be second to him at that video style. These Vlogs are a way for me to be different in a crowd of people all trying to do the same thing, I don't want to be a Danny copy, I want to be known as myself.

Excellent response to an excellent question.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ali C said:

I totally get that

filming for videos is a b*****d

that was brilliant riding, really enjoyed the vibe

towards the end shit got serious

9 hours ago, Ali C said:

to be fair

you might be a better rider than him at this point

I know it's a subjective(stupid?) opinion

but as a whole skillset, you're just insanely great and above anyone else

props for being yourself though, that makes your vids even better

• Like 1

I enjoy both videos to be honest the edit ones and the "real" ones and I think they're both awesome. As for vlogs: the more quantity and video-length the better. I'd watch them even if it's you doing a bunny hop over a shoe over and over. The cool thing about vlogs is that we get to see your personality, so we enjoy the vlogs because of "you" and not just because of the riding.

I've been watching trial videos for 15 years now and those vlogs made quite an impression to me. I appreciate much when there's an opportunity to know more about trials, I mean in depth, such as with the Tribalzine interviews.

Vlogs represent a step further towards this direction.

I feel know, with these 4 videos only, that I know you 1000x better than Gilles Coustellier for instance, even if I've been following him for more than a decade.

I encourage you to keep on producing these vlogs. Being able to hear your thoughts is just great. Just a last word, please pay attention to the sound quality (that's an unusual request I guess), as a non native english speaker I sometimes struggle with understanding what you say.

Edited by madman64
  • Like 2

On 13 May 2016 at 0:17 PM, Ali C said:

I preferred the vlogs to the clean version, I get the sense on vlogs that objects are harder to ride and takes many attempts and its practice make perfect and not all big massive lines too

where as  the clean version looks all easy and a false sense of what a day to day trials ride is 

think a vlog of making a clean version and the techniques used would be cool, also bike build and parts reviews too

Anyways really enjoys these and hope a full series and mabey a few season come out keep it real Ali 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weebryan said:

the clean version looks all easy and a false sense of what a day to day trials ride is 

I wouldn't say they give a "false sense" of that because that's not what they're trying to show at all, and not something I've ever implied they were trying to show.  Webisodes, vlogs and stuff like that are all well and good, but if I'm about to go riding and I want to watch a video to get some inspiration or motivation I'm going to put Ali's Cardiff video on, maybe watch a bit of 002 or something like that - I'm not going to put on a 25 minute long vlog.  I made/make them because they're the type of videos I want to see, and what gets me excited about riding and filming.  In the BMX world people are putting way more emphasis on just putting out whatever bits and pieces they get in the form of a webisode rather than putting time in and creating a video part, and if the pendulum keeps swinging in that direction it's going to suck long term.  They're good for building up more of a relationship with the rider/audience, but they'll never replace actual riding videos in terms of creating something memorable and long lasting.

• Like 3