Pedal Kick Height

It's hard to know without seeing you do it, but there are four areas to look at. Position: if you are too close to the wall you won't be able to get high, the higher the wall the further away you need to be, you need to drop down on top of the wall not just ram at it otherwise you'll keep dropping the front when you get there.

download.png this picture may or may not help.

Compression: you need to drop your front wheel (squat over your rear wheel) as much as possible, really bend your knees and try to touch your back wheel with your ass.

Extension; jump as high as you can using your legs and thrust your pelvis forward, (your arms swing down but i think it feels passive and that its the legs that make the motion) and you will feel your handle bars hit you lap at the max.

Tucking: to get the last bit of height you need to suck your knees to your chest and throw you arms up real high.  The kick of the pedal doesn't contribute much IMO.

The way to work it out is to film your self and see what you aren't doing properly. if you need to compress more try hovering on the back wheel and compressing as low as possible without the kicking part. If you struggle with tucking learning a static (not sure of the proper name) will help, at least it did for me, see this: static hop . The extension is just about how much you try to jump it, its all in the legs and hips. I found not thinking about the pedal kick and just trying to jump is what got me to get proper height and distance on stuff. 

Learning sidehops and the diagonal version of a sidehop i think its called a surge, helps loads too.

Also for higher stuff people tend to use pedal ups, (rolling move version). 

Wow thanks for all that! I will work on that this weekend hopefully and report back. Seriously thank you for taking the time to explain and write all of that. Hopefully I will get a video of practice sometime soon. 

Don't forget. It takes a lot of time to get higher but there are certain days where you get better at an instant because you accidentally do something right. :D I had this a while ago when I suddenly jumped a pallet higher on my side hops.

And yes, take videos of yourself and ask as many questions as you like. There are tons of cool lads on here willing to help you.

Don't forget. It takes a lot of time to get higher but there are certain days where you get better at an instant because you accidentally do something right. :D I had this a while ago when I suddenly jumped a pallet higher on my side hops.

And yes, take videos of yourself and ask as many questions as you like. There are tons of cool lads on here willing to help you.

Yeah I have been riding for a few years now, and just not progressed very much. 

Its funny that you commented on this, because I was just reading the sidehop technique post you made :L, hopefully I will learn sidehops soon. 

Yeah I have been riding for a few years now, and just not progressed very much. 

Its funny that you commented on this, because I was just reading the sidehop technique post you made :L, hopefully I will learn sidehops soon. 

Took me quite a while to get up 1m. I tried it earlier but then left it because it just felt so unnatural. Then, about half a year ago, I really started practicing it. Have made some progress already but I'm not at all satisfied.