New bike. Echo 24".

Mikee

This bike popped up locally so cheap, that I thought it would be rude not to buy it. It had literally been ridden 5 times and had been sitting in a garage for a few years. When I got it, it was virtually standard spec. I have since changed a few bits to suit my preference. Loving it so far.

03-06-2016 copy.jpg

03-06-2016_4 copy.jpg

• Like 6

Cap just made the switch from the grey-ish one to the black-ish one - the reach was around 10-15mm longer on the black one which was the main thing.  Everything else is basically the same.  It still felt similar to ride though, definitely wasn't a deal breaker...

wheel base went from 1050 to 1070 and bb from 70 to 65 if I'm not mistaken.

I rode both and the grayish one was more like a 20'' and the other more like a 26''. I did feel a huge difference. This being said, I'd really like my short Echo back now that I've ridden long and very long stocks.

Edited by niconj

1 minute ago, Ross McArthur said:

Yea, mine feels pretty long. Slowly getting used to it.

From the looks of it you are already pretty used to your new bike. Having seen it I really want my dual disc echo back. :(

The fact that I can't go dual disc on mine upsets me a little. I have only had 2 proper rides on it so far, but I am already starting to feel comfortable on it. The only things I want to change at the moment is the front tyre.

20 minutes ago, Mikee said:

The fact that I can't go dual disc on mine upsets me a little. I have only had 2 proper rides on it so far, but I am already starting to feel comfortable on it. The only things I want to change at the moment is the front tyre.

I've got a new Rocket Ron. ;)

1 hour ago, Ross McArthur said:

Naa, I'm no where near as comfortable on the back wheel as I was on my 26 yet. Cant get my head around tapping it either.

I think it'll just be a case of playing around with bar height, stem type, etc.  Cap's front end feels kind of low for 2 wheel stuff but seems to tap pretty well and also sits nicer on the back wheel.

28 minutes ago, Mark W said:

I think it'll just be a case of playing around with bar height, stem type, etc.  Cap's front end feels kind of low for 2 wheel stuff but seems to tap pretty well and also sits nicer on the back wheel.

My front end is high and when people ride it, it looks really high, as in too high to be stable on the back wheel but I think its fine. With my 26 I was able to get to back wheel and there was a really good sweet spot. I was able to set up for hops and would even let go of the back brake and hold it but with the 24 I've just not found that yet.

Prattley was giving me pointers on gaps to front last night and it seems my bars are too far back for going as big as I would like to as my elbows seem to come in the way instead of getting the weight over the front end with elbows out. Rolling them forward would make it shite for everything else though so that idea can G T F.

• Like 1

If it looks too high to be stable on the back wheel and you don't feel as stable on the back wheel then isn't that indicative of something?  :P  Like I said, Cap's got a slightly lower bar height than you and brakeless backhop stuff on his bike is super easy because it's just right there underneath you.  It'd be dogshit for bunnyhops and stuff like that, but if you're planning on pedalling into stuff more then it's not as much of a problem.

It's not so much 'easier' overall as it is to hold in certain places.  The higher front makes lifting it up initially easier, but having the lower front makes it a little harder to lift initially but gives you more stability when you're upright (innuendo innuendo) on the back wheel.

• 3 months later...
I'm running a Kenda Kinetics on the back. It came on the bike when I got it and it will do for now, nothing special. I know clearance can be an issue. My mate has a Schwalbe Fat Albert on his and he needed a half link, so that he could have the wheel far back in the dropouts enough for the tyre to clear the frame. Not sure about highrollers though.

The Conti Danny Mac tyres seem to be the go to tyres for 24 at the moment. Plenty of people use them on these echo bikes.

Edited by Mikee

Maxxis Swampthings and High Rollers in the supertacky compound seemed to be the choice but are slim on the ground now unfortunately. 
The Conti tyres really seem to be the only option. 

Non of the Schwalbe options have ever done it for me. Light yes, springy yes, but pinch happy and not grippy enough I dont think.