Scott Gibbs

V-brake set ups

35 posts in this topic

Ditto.  Ran SD7 calipers and levers for 2-3 years and they were really good.

Ad's Seal of approval.

Marks Seal of approval.

Edited by Davetrials

I broke mine after a couple of rides. I remember Martin or Ali not being happy with them either. 

XT isn't any better than Deore really. The SD7 levers are really good. 

they're just a bit fat to fit full pads and wide rims really, not had any issue with actual build quality 

some of the germans seem to be running silky smooth Vee setups if I remember correctly.

@insomnia

I felt a vee brake on a bike of @Ali C's at his flat in glasgow, that was so nice, never knew a vee, could be so well set up.

i'ma  big fan of the new deore levers; the dearer sets come with cables in box and they're a split clamp design so you don't have to take your grips off to fit em :)they're cheaper than sd7s too. i've had a set for over a year with no issues.

5 hours ago, ItsMatt said:

some of the germans seem to be running silky smooth Vee setups if I remember correctly.

@insomnia

It's @Martin Direske who's been running Vees for ages. He has old style SD7 levers and Ultimate brakes if I remember correctly (with a Shimano Carbone booster). I run SD7 levers and Ultimate brakes with Oddyssey linear slick cables. My brake (on a Rockman Gabbro with Vee mounts and a cheap Tektro booster) is super quiet but as powerful as a well setup HS33; the hold is even better. The force required to pull the lever is as little as a water bled HS33. The only thing is that the bite point is a bit mushy due to the cables.

1 person likes this

Well after somehow ripping my Avid SD7 arm apart, when i was setting it up cause i'm a ham fisted bad jock, i went to Evans in desperate times and bought some cheapy Shimano Alvio's. 

I'm really impressed so far, couldn't be happier.

Edited by Davetrials

Ultimate Arms, SD7 lever, Odyssey linear slic cable, Shimano booster, Koxx browns with heatsink backings on a dead grind were awesome. Miss that brake.

New deore levers are nice, run mine rear one upside down so the split clamp is more knee friendly.