Advice for spec?

iron_panda

Hey guys! I'm due to pick up a used (2010) onza zoot tomorrow for £180 and I just wondered if these specs are good for the price and year? Although quite vague the seller has said most of the parts are onza branded, DD-11 onza V brakes, Maxxis holy roller tyres (24x2.4 rear, 24x1.85 front). He said the the spec looks like it's almost unchanged from the new one.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

18 minutes ago, Dman said:

As long as it all works, should be sweet it's what I started on. Try knock it down to 150 you never know.

Awesome :) it was originally £200 and did try £150 but he said the lowest he can go was £180 which isn't too bad. Almost in the middle :) 

I have found that a pretty good indicator is the bike chain, if it is rusty other bearings in the bike will need replacing. But yeah 180 to start trials is decent as long as the bike is in good enough condition to ride straight away!

23 hours ago, ooo said:

I have found that a pretty good indicator is the bike chain, if it is rusty other bearings in the bike will need replacing. But yeah 180 to start trials is decent as long as the bike is in good enough condition to ride straight away!

All looks good, almost brand new. Apart from a few small scratches and worn grips  , it's hard to believe that it's 6 years old :)

now I just need to learn, finding the track stand a bit frustrating... Feels like I'm a kid again learning to ride a bike (....I'm 28) haha :) 

1 hour ago, iron_panda said:

now I just need to learn, finding the track stand a bit frustrating... Feels like I'm a kid again learning to ride a bike (....I'm 28) haha :) 

Trackstands in 5mins or less.

Find out which foot forward you are (ride about with the cranks level with the chainstays/parallel with the ground, 1st try right foot forward then the left, one way will feel fine and the other utterly disgusting),

Now flat some flat ground & put that good foot at the bottom of the crank stroke so it is nearest the ground, turn the bars away (45deg max.) from your straight leg and rock back and forth on the spot locking the front brake on and off as you do so. The key is being chilled out and staying still.

Done. :-)

Aim the front wheel up a slight slope if that helps, and when you get comfy stop using the brake & learn again. Then learn one handed (great for wiping sweat away) & for bonus points none handed with arms outstretched.

Ways of learning anything else can be found here http://trashzen.com/ and has been a tutorial bible for longer than I've been riding (10yrs this year).

Thinkbikes youtube channel is pretty good too.

Edited by CC12345678910

5 hours ago, CC12345678910 said:

Trackstands in 5mins or less.

Find out which foot forward you are (ride about with the cranks level with the chainstays/parallel with the ground, 1st try right foot forward then the left, one way will feel fine and the other utterly disgusting),

Now flat some flat ground & put that good foot at the bottom of the crank stroke so it is nearest the ground, turn the bars away (45deg max.) from your straight leg and rock back and forth on the spot locking the front brake on and off as you do so. The key is being chilled out and staying still.

Done. :-)

Aim the front wheel up a slight slope if that helps, and when you get comfy stop using the brake & learn again. Then learn one handed (great for wiping sweat away) & for bonus points none handed with arms outstretched.

Ways of learning anything else can be found here http://trashzen.com/ and has been a tutorial bible for longer than I've been riding (10yrs this year).

Thinkbikes youtube channel is pretty good too.

Thanks for the tips :) can a track stand be accomplished on flat ground? Is it harder?

7 hours ago, iron_panda said:

can a track stand be accomplished on flat ground? Is it harder?

its a little trickier as your weight has to be nicely central, whereas if your balancing uphill it needs to be forward and it's easier to find the sweet spot between your body and the chain tension. when your balancing on the flat you end up needing to lock up the front end and 'rocking' the bike around a little to balance, with time you can really reduce the amount of movement you need so you end up stationary. trashzen explains it way better

• 1 month later...

Where about in Liverpool are you?

I picked up a 2013 Onza Zoot for a cracking price yesterday, I had not rode a bike for about 15 years, but I bought a cheap monty a few months back to see how I got on trying to re-learn everything. I saw the Onza, and for the price had to go for it.

I'm south Liverpool, so happy to meet up and have a ride somewhere if you are close.

Edited by Dift