New Mtb Advice

Dman

Been meaning to get one for a few years now, never done any mountain biking before, i had a specialized camber fsr elite about 6 years ago, i liked it but didnt use it for its purpose just did wheelies.

A few friends have recently got them so i want to try it out.

Budget is £2000 preferably less.

My mate just got a cube 160hpa and it looks really good, nice spec and £1600 in sales.

I have been advised against cubes by someone who works at a bike shop, he said linkage pivots go on them and a few frames have had to be wrote off due to this. He said trek or giant for reliability.

The giants and treks in my budget dont look that great, and i dont really like the colour schemes.

I think id like 27.5 wheelsize, does anyone have experience of 27.5+ tyres? Looks like it could be fun.

So far i really like the look of

759300_zoom.jpg

Cube 150hpa 27.5+

17METASXV3BK_2000.jpg

Commencal meta sx

CBOOCOD27GX1_P1.jpg

On one codeine

Any suggestions?

http://www.tiso.com/alpn-trek-1128911/trek-fuel-ex-8-275-2016-matt-trek-black-alpn-trek-1128911

http://www.tiso.com/alpn-whyt-1132693/whyte-t-130-sx-magenta-alpn-whyt-1132693

http://www.jejamescycles.com/whyte-t130-sx-full-suspension-mountain-bike-2015.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw0rm-BRCn85bm8uS-zK0BEiQAHo4vrKw7Bb-E6GfQTJlG4RApysgzC9s96zz6hQX5EUUqMckaAoPQ8P8HAQ

A couple options there for you (dont worry about what shop etc more  used those for the models and prices.)

Treks a great riding bike with the brake pivot design, good warranty on them but in general great riding bikes.

The two whytes are pretty much same model (lower spec than the trek) and with one being a 2015 its quite cheap at £1400 from £2000, the forks arent as great but still a good price for a good bike.

(i personally bought a whyte t130 and love it)

out of the three you have shown i would ignore the on one personally.

the trek would be my number one choice if you want to spend that, otherwise the commencal you put up :)

• Like 1

So this was approximately what I was looking at when I got mine. Personally I think the direct sales companies have the most going for them, sepc/£ at least.

Rose Bikes, Canyon, Bird all have incredibly decent options well below £2000, even a base YT Capra can be had for sub 2k. Also still some 2016 bikes on sale that are good value as well.

What type of riding are you going to be going? Trails or XC? Got loads of Downhill near you?

For me, I wanted 150mm travel front and back, as I live near a few trails, along with Rogate DH, Tidworth freeride and BPW is within reach for a long weekend, and I wanted a bike to do it all. I also live 5 mins from the head office of Bird, so being able to go and meet them, try all the frames and components was what swung it.

If all you've got is big climbs, a shorter travel bike would probably be a nicer ride, but if you have a nice trail centre with uplift, 160mm+ would probably be the way to go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Haz said:

Not into the rose one's

Not into colour of the canyons in my price range.

Really not into the bird's.

The Yt look good, looked there before, nearly bought one ages ago.

3 hours ago, bing said:

On one codeine everytime for me.

Your the only person that has said they ate decent.

• Like 1

I'd steer clear of the on one, I know the first 20 or so at least cracked and the marzocchi parts they got for them were all leaking before they were out of the box and built onto bikes. The 29" versions all snap on the chainstay too. 

If they've updated the frames to be stronger and have rockshox kit on they may be worth a second look though. 

• Like 1