New to Trials here whats should i aim for!?

Merksoldier

Whats up guys!? so here is whats up! I work at a large warehouse for a company called Pacific Cycle in the U.S. we carry different models from just mongoose and iron horse to company's like Cannondale and GT. And we have a professional rider named Chris Clark that we sponsor and he put on a pretty sweet street style trials show for us. And he really got me interested into getting a trials bike. But i don't know what i should get so far all i have is a set of Fox F100 shocks with FCS stem and Easton EA50 bars. What do you guys recommend for a beginner frame? what brand of crank is good and is around a 175mm good for a 26"? what kind of rims or gears chain and ratios are good as well? i might have been at this company for awhile but i still don't know much about them. lol.

6 hours ago, Dman said:

It sounds like you dont want a dedicated trials frame, more of a mtb/dirtjump frame with suspension front end?

Remember that the lad that does demos could be doing the ryan leech/kenny belaey GT thing of using a bike that is identifiable by his audience. As I understand it this is more the norm in murica than the 5 or so styles we'd instantly recognise as a trials bike.

My honest advise would be to have a browse through full bikes on tarty's and trials-addict's website and look through the vids on here to see what strikes a chord with you as you see it.

Edited by CC12345678910

On September 13, 2016 at 6:12 AM, Dman said:

It sounds like you dont want a dedicated trials frame, more of a mtb/dirtjump frame with suspension front end?

Yes to some degree.

23 hours ago, CC12345678910 said:

Remember that the lad that does demos could be doing the ryan leech/kenny belaey GT thing of using a bike that is identifiable by his audience. As I understand it this is more the norm in murica than the 5 or so styles we'd instantly recognise as a trials bike.

My honest advise would be to have a browse through full bikes on tarty's and trials-addict's website and look through the vids on here to see what strikes a chord with you as you see it.

He was riding a complete stock mongoose fireball. And ill check out the sites for sure. I also recently picked up a gt 27t front sprocket and gt 17t rear. And a 175mm gt crank. After i get it all pieced together ill post some pics

22 hours ago, Mark W said:

Are we talking old school US pro dude Chris Clark?  That name rings a bell from Evolve...

And yes indeed. The company i work for gives him all his bikes and his old retired ones site in the parts area here.

20 hours ago, Dman said:

Ask for one of his old ones

Sadly hes already gone.

But on another note i picked up a rear hub and i honestly know nothing about it other than it looks identical to the industry nine torch rear hub-XD1 148mm 32h except the only difference is it has 28h. There is also nothing printed on it except XD COMPATIBLE ONLY 

you don't want a conventional freehub for trials; they don't like the way you'll end up stamping on the drivetrain... hope pro2 or chris king is what you want. that XD only stamp means you can only run a giant cassette which is excessive and unnecessary, plus your choice of rims will be limited.  just look at getting an inspired instead of some bastardised MTB it'll work out cheaper and more efficient to learn with cause it's intended for purpose, you totally can ride trials on a normal MTB in the same way you could ride a road bike down a downhill track but it doesn't mean your gonna enjoy yourself or progress as well as you'd imagine.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ogre said:

you don't want a conventional freehub for trials; they don't like the way you'll end up stamping on the drivetrain... hope pro2 or chris king is what you want. that XD only stamp means you can only run a giant cassette which is excessive and unnecessary, plus your choice of rims will be limited.  just look at getting an inspired instead of some bastardised MTB it'll work out cheaper and more efficient to learn with cause it's intended for purpose, you totally can ride trials on a normal MTB in the same way you could ride a road bike down a downhill track but it doesn't mean your gonna enjoy yourself or progress as well as you'd imagine.

I have seen a lot of the inspired setups and really like them. Sadly a lot of the online retailers are in the Uk and shipping to the US sucks. And thank you ill check them out as well!

48 minutes ago, Merksoldier said:

I have seen a lot of the inspired setups and really like them. Sadly a lot of the online retailers are in the Uk and shipping to the US sucks. And thank you ill check them out as well!

Tartybikes have arguably the best customer service in the world when it comes to trials. A quick flick on here or via Google should back that up nicely. Well priced, speedy postage to the States too IIRC. You can't go wrong with them.

Either save for a while and pick up a complete, well specced bike now, or buy a more entry-level rig to get you going, and upgrade down the line if you decide it's something you'd like to stick at. By that point, you'll also have a better idea of what you want/need on a personal level, so will be in a better position to customise to your own tastes (Y)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Luke Rainbird said:

Tartybikes have arguably the best customer service in the world when it comes to trials. A quick flick on here or via Google should back that up nicely. Well priced, speedy postage to the States too IIRC. You can't go wrong with them.

Either save for a while and pick up a complete, well specced bike now, or buy a more entry-level rig to get you going, and upgrade down the line if you decide it's something you'd like to stick at. By that point, you'll also have a better idea of what you want/need on a personal level, so will be in a better position to customise to your own tastes (Y)

Right on for sure ill be saving their website. I have a unfinished GT Transeo 3.0 based mtb/700c hybrid i can finish(can post pics in morning) and im getting a  Roughly estimated  $7k sevrince bonus from work in january, I can get one then. And i want to aim for a personaly built one of a kind. I just like saying "yeah, i built mine." lol