Comments for 2017 competition

kevind

After a request for a new topic for comp riders to add requests to be discussed for 2017. This will hopefully run along side a questionnaire like last year?

Please just add what you want discussed or raised for next year and no discussions on here please. I will collate these and add them to the relevant peoples discussions points for the BTF AGM. If there is to much to discuss in the short time then maybe it can be discussed somewhere else before 2017. Now is your chance to have a say.

I do also but that can be done then your off home before the podium. 

( though I do know both of us would normally hang about till well after the podiums)  

A certificate means you need to wait it out. Till there ready after the podium. 

See my point! 

Edited by dezmtber

Haha, guys I think you're missing the point. The problems bike trials has isn't much to do with keeping riders behind at the end. Its much bigger than that. My first comment was just a silly dig. That's all.

Can you imagine feeding paper into your wee battery powered printer in a howling gale on an exposed hill side with the rain slashing down with Barbara sitting at her battery powered desk top punching numbers in for 30 odd riders to print a certificate out. Haha. Oh dear Dez, pat on the head.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, isitafox said:

Keep the results hidden until everyone has finished, reveal the top three in each class and then display the results board?

Having a lunch break at the Open Trial with live results seemed to work pretty well.  As Ross said though, this isn't really the problem...

Yeah the official lunch break was a good idea. I just thought keeping the results hidden till the very end keeps the suspense up and might help some people who think they're not doing well to push themselves. 

EDIT: Just re-read what you put as I was rushing before. My idea isn't supposed to be a solution to the struggling numbers, just a suggestion to keep the day exciting for everyone.

• Like 1

AGM date is getting closer (still not decided but will be by end of year) and what! nobody has any points or opinions on what riders want. Plenty getting discussed by all in Belgium this weekend and at Hook woods last weekend on what the people want to be discussed and lots of very positive opinions being brought up from section marking to where the events need to be held. Its at a turn around point and few people old and new are bringing things to the table.

I got it Ross but kept my keyboard to myself, its a manners thing that some seem to be lacking in and I know some have a long trip home but 15 to 30 min extra on the day is not really a problem, to build the whole club spirit thing is it. Barbara does certificates for the primary class, but should we have to bribe riders to stay? That waiting time could be used to help dismantle the sections and help with anything else needing done. Oops seemed to have sorted that bit already.

Edited by kevind

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 24/10/2016 at 11:28 PM, Echo-Scott said:

A venue that doesnt take me 3hrs to drive to:lol:

Well Scott, depending on where it is somebody has to! But if you can get the club a venue up by you then I will only be to happy to drive North????? That goes for anybody else?

3hrs  imagine what Bailey does each event from Applecross.

I would like to see more support from British Cycling, I know people have said they are whatever they are. But I think they are quite key if we want this to grow. It would be good to understand where they are coming from and if we can work towards something to make it happen. Barbara has mentioned they are happy to support the schools, if this is so then maybe we should focus more on the school rather then the competitions.

Schools will bring in new riders, which will also bring in more competitors. Effectively I think by helping schools, we will grow the competition scene as a by product.

Edited by TheChai

I wont go over what I think of them again Andrew. Yes you are correct about targeting other groups like schools etc and that is what we are doing up here. The club did a demo/give it a go at the weekend near Glasgow that was organised for kids to be introduced to cycling. The feedback was great and lots of groups dealing with youngsters and communities were very impressed and will hopefully lead to more contacts and kids getting started. Also I think because it was not you guys ( Elite/expert) doing the demo but younger kids just starting out, that the kids watching could relate to them better. Also cycling clubs are showing a huge interest in trials for there youngsters to grow there bike handling skills to mostly improve for there own disciplines, but even if a few stay at trials which seems to be happening then we win as a trials club. The work is being done mostly by a new dad as I am guilty as others of just ORGANISING events for those that are interested and have never really taken to much time to promote trials. It isn't what I am good at but I am taking much enthusiasm from it to help him. 

I have Scottish cycling agreeing to put up a webpage about trials, but have not done so because of a lot of reasons (which also apply to British cycling) I don't wish to discuss here, but will chat about with you no problem. 

Come up to the AGM if you can, we can have a chat then?

Why not discuss them here, out of interest?  If they're 'professional' reasons - which I'd expect for them declining putting up a page - then there shouldn't really be a need to hide them away.  If they're 'unprofessional' reasons then if they don't care about it, there's no real need to care if their reasons are explained on here too (not least because they're unlikely to see it if they have that little interest in trials).

• Like 1

Why not just explain it so other people can learn from it if they're in the same situation with a regional/local body in future?  Part of the problem with this thing with British Cycling is that there's never been one explanation for what's going on with them so there's no way for people to work out solutions to it.  This is essentially just adding the Scottish body to that list, and doesn't really help anyone for the future.

Mark, 

Kevin is trying to keep to topic, I would want this raised as part of the discussion in AGM, which has already been noted. Don't really understand why you are pushing.

Kevin happy to attend, i am sure I will get an email when date is confirmed. 

For very brief information: British Cycling were approached in around 2007/8 with regard to running trials through them and their insurance. 

Everyone competing would have to have the British Cycling membership and licences; this is itself would reduce entries as it would probably only be those who plan on going to international events who would buy the licences.   It would cut out those who just want to attend their local event, and those who just want to do it for fun.

Several years ago 2007/8/9 we heavily looked into running all our events through British Cycling, and at that time decided against it:

1. British Cycling would need to accept trials officially – this process would take several years to go through all the necessary channels, and acceptance was not guaranteed due to the size of the sport in comparison with other disciplines (and it was bigger in those days than it is now).

2. To run club events everyone would need to hold at least BC Bronze membership (at that time £10, now £22 per annum)

3. To run regional events everyone would need to hold at least BC Silver membership (currently £42)

4. To run national events everyone would need to hold a BC Gold membership (currently £72)

5. To advertise a national event on the UCI calendar would cost 1,000 euros per event.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/race

TykeTrial Club did try the BC insurance for just one year (which was comparable with the ACU that we used at that time, but more expensive than the AMCA); we could do this because at that time they had a deal that Bronze membership was free for one year – so all the riders had to do was fill in the membership form.  The following year the charge applied; no-one renewed so we went back to other insurance.

We do get support from our contact at British Cycling who does try to promote us to 'the powers that be'; both Barry and I are in regular contact and have a good working relationship.

Unless trials is 'officially' recognised by British Cycling, with everything being run through them under their jurisdiction, and everyone holding membership/licences, then we will not get any promotion on their website or other media.  I recently strongly expressed my annoyance, disappointment and frustration that there is absolutely no mention of Jack's achievement at the World Championships this year, whilst winners of other disciplines were well reported. 

12 hours ago, TheChai said:

Barbara has mentioned they are happy to support the schools

I have no recollection of saying this Andrew, and it is not the case, perhaps it has been misunderstood.  They are happy to arrange training for us for coaches so that we can do qualified training, but no support in any other way.

5 hours ago, TheChai said:

Kevin happy to attend, i am sure I will get an email when date is confirmed. 

It's already on its way to you - please note the dates for letting us know.

• Like 1

On 27/10/2016 at 10:54 PM, BikeTrial Federation said:

Happy to arrange coaching

Non trials related, expensive, very very restrictive to what riders can do  and renewable. It has been discussed up here. But anybody training without  some qualification and without insurance maybe liable to being sued as is the way.

Maybe something else that is discussed; as although we have run informal pre season free coaching days, new riders just arrive at comps with various levels of knowledge. There is perhaps a requirement for young or new riders to be given instruction on trials competition and how to improve their skills. Our various weekly barn sessions and a  new training area being built this week for younger riders are serving the need just now. I know the trials academy is working along this route as well.

Also thanks Andrew for stepping up more the better,