The Grand Tour Thread

JT!

I enjoyed it as expected. I think it can only get better too whilst they iron out a few little things.

I have to admit that the review done by Chris Harris on the same track in the exact same three cars that was probably filmed at a similar time was a much better review. The Grand Tour didn't really inform me on much at all where as Chris Harris's review was much more in depth and I preferred it. But it was still very entertaining and what this trio are all about. 

• Like 2

I just finished watching it. It was good overall, but with some "meh" mixed in. It felt a lot like the old top gear, but with more money and some key bits missing (probably for legal reasons). I didn't like the track or the American, an unmasked Ben Collins on a proper track would have been better. A lot of the studio jokes went on for longer than they needed to, etc.

It's missing a lot of the charm from the old show, but I did expect this from the 1st season. Top Gear had years to perfect itself and now they have to reproduce that while at the same time, keeping the Amazon lawyers happy. 

We just need Chris Harris to front a more serious Top Gear and we would have 2 good car shows to watch.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Danny said:

I think the next one will be better. 

I hope so. I don't think it helped that they were in America trying to be funny to yanks which just came across as desperate and a bit pathetic. Celebrity thing was entirely pointless, RAF thing was wholly unnecessary and stupid, the American driver is a mistake if they're not actually going to get anything from him... I actually fell asleep watching it which says a lot!

The show was OK, I'm not interested in cars in the slightest but it was cool to see those three super cars. The celebrity thing was weird, not a fan of the American either.

I hope they can go back to doing good challenges...buying a car for cheap etc, I really like stuff like that.

7 hours ago, MadManMike said:

Watched it earlier. It's just Top Gear in a tent.

It's worth watching, but I was expecting it to be a little different...

Neutral opinion here..

I pretty much thought the same. (Well actually i thought it was Top Gear with more money, but meh).

Worth watching, but would have been nice if they changed it a bit

2 hours ago, AdamAllen said:

Exactly what topgear was then?

But slightly unlike the new format :P At least with Harris, Reid and LeBlanc on the show. Loved his review of the 911R, the guy might just be a TV personality but he knows what cars are about. IMO he actually hit the sweet spot with that review.

Couldn't get through the whole episode of the Grand Tour. It's more of a comedy show with cars in the background. There is absolutely no insight into the cars which are instead treated like props or setups for poor jokes. The LaFerrari for instance - it's an engineering masterpiece but instead they were more concerned with the name and politics surrounding the vehicle. And timing cars on the same tyres is apparently "anoraky". That's something my mum would say if she could care about how fast cars went around a circuit.

I'll just leave this here for contrast:

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Greetings said:

It's more of a comedy show with cars in the background. There is absolutely no insight into the cars which are instead treated like props or setups for poor jokes

If it was anything else I wouldn't watch it to be honest.

Was there ever time in Top Gear history where an episode was a great car show and a great comedy show for the non-enthusiasts?

22 hours ago, Greetings said:

But slightly unlike the new format :P At least with Harris, Reid and LeBlanc on the show. Loved his review of the 911R, the guy might just be a TV personality but he knows what cars are about. IMO he actually hit the sweet spot with that review.

Couldn't get through the whole episode of the Grand Tour. It's more of a comedy show with cars in the background. There is absolutely no insight into the cars which are instead treated like props or setups for poor jokes. The LaFerrari for instance - it's an engineering masterpiece but instead they were more concerned with the name and politics surrounding the vehicle. And timing cars on the same tyres is apparently "anoraky". That's something my mum would say if she could care about how fast cars went around a circuit.

I'll just leave this here for contrast:

great to watch, like the more detailed reviews compared to GT but the presenter is just crap imo, couldnt stand him on top gear either.

One thing I have to say though, they quality of amazon's steaming service is probably the best I've seen. Maybe because they're streaming in 4k and don't really care about compressing 1080p too much?