Which rear wheel hub?

iron_panda

Hey guys, I'm wanting to put some disc brakes on my bike but I'll need new hubs. As far as I can see, there's two ways going about this, buying some wheels (new or used) that have the right hubs or just buying new hubs and use the original wheels and spokes and set the wheels up myself. I would like to buy just the hubs and do the work myself as I would like to know how it's done. But on tartybikes there's 116mm and 135mm, Free and fixed hubs and I can only assume if I'm going to use the original parts, I'd need the same size and type right? But I'm not sure what measurement and type my current hubs are. Where would I measure from and to and how would I know if it's fixed or free? (Sorry for the complete newbie question and if I've got some of the terminology wrong, it's all still very new to me :))

On a side note, what are the differences between 116, 135mm free and fixed?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bike: 24" Onza Zoot 2012

Photo 10-08-2016, 21 15 15.jpg

6 minutes ago, jeff costello said:

free hubs have a built-in freewheel (like hope hubs and mtb hubs), fixed hubs only have a thread onto which you screw either just a fixed cog (front freewheel setup) or a freewheel.

Ahh so at the moment it looks like my bike has a fixed hub?

it's easy to spot when you know what you are looking for, screw-on freewheel are a lot thicker than fixed cogs. 
freewheels: http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/complete_freewheels/c16.html
fixed cogs are just a piece of metal with no built-in mechanism. 

you have to have one freeweheel in your drivetrain either in the front (on your cranks) or in the back (on your hub). if your chain keeps moving when your bike is coasting and you don't move your feet - that's a giveaway for a front freewheel setup. i suspect you might have one like this, but it's hard for me to see in your picture. 

building your own wheels is possible, but a bit tricky for beginners, especially without special tools. you might not be able to re-use your old spokes, since most hubs come in different sizes. lots of tutorials about wheelbuilding on the net. 

Edited by jeff costello

2 hours ago, robkerly said:

your zoot definitely has a 135mm 'fixed' rear hub. Hope that helps

That's the key word. :D

I agree with @jeff costello on the wheel building part. I think trials wheels are the most abused wheels in cycling so the wheel build has to be done rather well. It isn't rocket science but I'd rather start with a cheap road bike wheel. In fact, my first wheel ever was a road bike wheel (or a fixie rear wheel for that matter).

On another note, I've got a disc rear wheel that came with my Inspired. Hardly used. I may also have a front wheel. I just reused the hub with my new rims but would relace it if you need a wheel set.

Edited by niconj

Thanks guys! I definitely know what I need to look for now :)

Yeah maybe I should leave it with someone who's more in the know with that kind of stuff, probably cheaper too over getting all the right kit and tools :D Problem with practicing with road bike parts is that I have no road bike, or any other bike for that matter hah. Unless I slowly build one up over time :)

I'm not looking to spend mega money on the brakes but I want them to be good and reliable and I've heard shimano thrown around quite a bit but are there any other decent brands? Or ones to stay away from?

Also have been looking at these hubs:
Trialtech Sport HD Front Disc
Trialtech Sport 135mm Rear Disc

Edited by iron_panda