What discs?

Benji82

Hi there

Im not quite a beginner as i used to ride a lot some time ago. 

I have a pashley that i love and at the moment it is having disc mounts welded on. I've seen a few people using front and rear bb5's on 24" bikes. Does anyone have any experience of them on a 26"?

I'm also open to the idea of hydraulics. Maybe saint or XT's so any advice on discs for a 26" bike would be much appreciated. 

Many thanks in advance 

Benji

bb5s or 7s are great provided you get a decent cable and lever and take the time to set them up properly. i've used both on various wheel sizes and set ups over the year, i had a 200mm bb7 on the rear of a 26 and it was awesome

4 minutes ago, Benji82 said:

Thanks! 

I've had discs on off road bikes but never on a trials bike. I'm worried about the spungy feel with hydraulics. 

I have a very new pair of xtr v brake levers to use with the bb5/bb7.

Is there much performance difference between the avids?

cable brakes are usually more spongy than hydros, my 2016 xt's are solid- however since theyre hydraulic, you will eventually have to bleed them , so the avid are definitely less maintenance... the bb5 from what i remember are a slightly cheaper build? could be wrong... performance wise they should be very similar.

On my 24'' street bike I've had a MT5 (now a MT6) and both are very good brakes; 180mm rotor. The MT6 offers more modulation. The BB7/200mm rotor, on my 26'' pure trials  is, when it only comes to blocking the wheel, better than the Maguras. It's like hitting a wall when pulling the lever, the modulation is harder though. 

Get some Trialtech pads for the BB7 and Odyssey linear slick cables. This and your XTR V-Brake levers and you are all set.

8 hours ago, Herbertlemon102 said:

cable brakes are usually more spongy than hydros, my 2016 xt's are solid- however since theyre hydraulic, you will eventually have to bleed them , so the avid are definitely less maintenance... the bb5 from what i remember are a slightly cheaper build? could be wrong... performance wise they should be very similar.

BB5s have a single piece 'body' whereas the bb7s have a two peice body to allow for the extra mechanism which lets you adjust both pads in/out. the 5s are allegedly a little bit stiffer as a result. performance is awesome on either model but i found the small pads on bb5s don't like large holed rotors like the hope trials ones.

• Like 1

Ok thanks for all the replies.

Im on the verge of ordering some bb5's off ebay.

I have some solid Hope saw rotors 180mm which ill use with them.

Im a bit nervous about the feel as i have only ever used magura and v-brakes in the past.

I see that Joe Prattley uses them in one of his videos so they cant be that bad.

9 hours ago, Benji82 said:

Ok thanks for all the replies.

Im on the verge of ordering some bb5's off ebay.

I have some solid Hope saw rotors 180mm which ill use with them.

Im a bit nervous about the feel as i have only ever used magura and v-brakes in the past.

I see that Joe Prattley uses them in one of his videos so they cant be that bad.

set up right, they feel more solid than v-brakes! get some linear slick cables if you can