Reverb service kit + revised IFP

forteh

On 10/16/2016 at 9:47 PM, forteh said:

I don't get why people are having their reverb posts fail? Mine is 4 years old now, no service yet and no major issues. A little air has leaked by the ifp causing it to sag by a couple of mm but that's a pretty easy fix.

That said there are a lot of reputedly very reliable droppers out there now.

Spoke too f**king soon .....

:D

Went for a quick bimble over cannock chase this morning (first ride since the Brecon Beast back in september :(), so spent a little time fettling the bike last night.  Now my reverb has had a slightly aerated ifp for a while and just sagged a little, nothing major to complain about; it had started sagging a little more so I checked the pressure on it and whoops, it only had 75psi in it as opposed the 250 it's meant to!  Pumped it up and it back to only a few mm movement - Great.

Nice frosty -2 start (fortunately for christmans the wife got me some under armour coldgear compression tights for rugby training with the Lichfield U7s - thoroughly impressed with them, expensive but work well and got no cramps despite pushing quite hard with no warm up) and within 200 yards the post had magically dumped all of it's air.  Quick pump up and away we went, it held for close to another 3 miles before failing again at which point I slammed the dropper an raised it up out the frame as much as possible.

As stated above, it's 4 years old now and never been serviced so I figured I should do so, being a tight arse I would rather service it myself so I get to learn how to do it and avoid the 85 quid for someone else to do so.  I'm going to presume that I need the full service kit (that includes the updated IFP) and the lower DU bush; who knows where is cheapest to get it from and whill it definitely include the lastest IFP?  Are the service kits universal across all non-stealth reverbs?  I will probably invest in the correct tooling for bleeding and setting the IFP, it's not much more than a tenner from CRC and it takes some of the guesswork and hassle out of the job.

Beers in advance :)

Edited by forteh

service kits are slightly different between stealth and externals. Putting a new set of seals in should certainly sort the air leak but the slight dropping you're getting is caused by the damper and you can't service the damper from home that need to be sent to sram tech. 

So it would appear that getting hold of an A1 full service kit is a bit of a faff right now, spoke to TFT and they have the A2 in stock but that's no good for the A1.  They've done me a basic service kit with the upgraded IFP for 15 quid which is a lot cheaper than the 50+ quid it would be for the full kit.

It won't have the replacement DU bushes or the brass keys, if the bottom DU bush is fubar I measure and source a new one for a quid or so (or make one from delrin) and if the keys are worn significantly I machine some new ones at work :)

Internal floating piston, it's a standard design for separating gas and oil in shocks and forks. Typically used to allow displacement of hydraulic fluid by a damper rod. Normally pressurised with nitrogen on the gas side in shocks which is why shock damper servicing is not normally a home job.

They're not complicated compared to some forks and shocks, the ifp whilst adding a layer of complexity lowers weight and is a conveniently packaged solution, it's just taken sram 4 years to get it working reliably :)

Service kit arrived from tft along with all the tools courtesy of Amazon prime; top service as I only ordered them yesterday afternoon :)

Kit does include the bottom DU bush as well so should be all good as long as my ifp tube isn't badly scored up. Spoke to Jim at work and he's quite happy to machine some new brass keys for me if needed.

Probably, I suspect they scan the tubes as they go to assembly and get sorted into similar tolerance bins which will then be fitted with the appropriate pins.  I know TF tuned sometimes mix and match the pins to take out slop.  Whichever size I have I will get some more made up to suit :)

• 2 months later...

Post stripped, bottom bush ok, top bush buggered. Seals replaced, top bush removed from seal head, new delrin bush machined to fit the seal head and inner tube exactly. Reassembled, ifp bled, air spring sprung - works perfectly, pretty simple to service as it goes, glad I don't have to pay out the 85 quid a go now :)