Tubeless for trials?

AndyT

Is anyone running a tubeless set up for street trials? I know competition trials tires with low psi ratings was not a good thing, burping too much air...

Ali C how are you getting on with yours?  I'm going tubeless on my road/mountain bike , interested in its use for my street bike with 45 psi...

5 hours ago, AndyT said:

Is anyone running a tubeless set up for street trials? I know competition trials tires with low psi ratings was not a good thing, burping too much air...

Ali C how are you getting on with yours?  I'm going tubeless on my road/mountain bike , interested in its use for my street bike with 45 psi...

According to Ali it works. Danny has upgraded* as well I think.

*It really seems to be an UPgrade.

Edited by niconj
  • Like 1

@AndyT, I've actually followed Ali's tutorial for going tubeless and it works a charm! I've not had a chance to ride my bike in anger yet, but it has sealed a treat (probably due to using the bikeshops compressor to get my tires seated).  I did a decent enough rail gap without any burps or issues earlier this week.

If you can afford a 'huck norris' set-up then it'll make your life easier, but getting some of the closed cell foam and cutting it down yourself is easy enough, and cheap :).

• Like 1

Loving mine so far, not burped any air yet however I don't really feel I've pushed the limits of sideways landings yet.

I'm pleased it's worked for you Ben :) I was hoping it wasn't just a fluke that I got mine to work...Danny really struggled to get his to seal with Inspired rims, Spank seem to have a more aggressive "bead bite" system that holds onto the tire harder and creates a stronger seal, Danny tried again with Spank rims and it seems to have worked.

• Like 2

I'm on 26" and a OG dx32 in rear... spank in front , think the front may be an easy job as at 45 psi it is very rare I rim out on the front (takes a major tap to something sharp!).

@ben_travis what is huck Norris? Where will I find that foam.. packing supply store?

I stopped riding around my house because every time I'd go for a ride I'd get a front and rear flat from gnarly American desert thorns...not cool... sealant will help this!

kinda would like to try this. (mod with drilled rims though). i run rather high psi because i get punctures a lot at lower pressures and i hate that.

in the vlog episode after the tubeless one, ali says he changed the setup: a ghetto TL with a split inner tube that's glued to the tyre (no more foam, i think)

@Ali C what kind of glue did you use?

a split inner tube setup would take care of the drilled rims. is there any other reason tubeless would not work with jitsie rim and monty eagle claw prorace? the bead maybe? or porous tyre?

Edited by jeff costello

I used contact adhesive, I think I put foam in too to protect the tyre and rim but I can't remember for sure.

You can still seal your drilled rim with tape though, you can get Gorilla tape in pretty wide rolls...you could just tape the rim as normal but the holes would show the bare sticky side of the tape and it'd collect mud/dust etc...it'd be tricky to do but you could cut the tape wide enough for the rim and then stick a narrower strip sticky side-sticky side to cover the holes...but then again the tube method seems to be working so far so that might just be easier.

You will probably find it'll lose pressure for the first few days/week as the tyres won't be tubeless ready and they'll be porous, the sealant will seal them eventually but how long depends on how porous they are.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ali C said:

You will probably find it'll lose pressure for the first few days/week as the tyres won't be tubeless ready and they'll be porous, the sealant will seal them eventually but how long depends on how porous they are.

This was the only minor issue i've had so far, although now i've started riding the bike more often it seems to have spread the sealant around the wheel a bit more. No issues with burping and did some decent enough gaps yesterday to test them :). I'll give it another couple of months before i get back up to doing bigger stuff, and post my full thoughts then, but so far so good. 

I'm going to give this a go on some Trial Tech SL rims. Had quick google and found a guy on the net who has managed it with these particular rims as I was initially questioning whether it would be possible with the rectangular stamped holes.

Interestingly this guy used some laminate flooring underlay foam to fill the dip in the centre of the rim and then used the gorilla tape over the top to build up the height to help with getting air in to the tyre initially - might be worth knowing if you're trying a conversion with more conventional trials orientated rims. Link here.

When I get round to it, process is likely to be:

• existing rim tape, I just use a single wrap of aluminium foil tape - looks quite nice on the stamped rims.
  • potentially a layer of thin foam to build height - going to try avoid this if possible but looks like it might be necessary.  
  • 20" tube cut down the middle and stretched over the rim in order to make a tubular setup similar to Ali's, also take care of the valve. 
  • DIY "huck-norris" made from a 15mm thick closed cell yoga matt (less than a tenner from eBay).
  • toss in some sealant.
  • cross fingers.
  • attempt to seat tyre with track pump.
  • swear, a lot.
  • accept failure and go back to tubes. 
Edited by Bruce
Can't spell.
  • Like 1

My sealant says 4 oz for a 29er wheel, I figure 6 oz for a fat 26" wheel?? I've got a compressor, that's half the battle... going tubeless first on my fun hybrid bike so I'll have some practice, then I'll get the  foam + exacto out and my gorilla tape and go to work.. is there much weights savings after all is done? People say tubeless is a more supple ride, any change on a trials bike? 

4 hours ago, Bruce said:

I'm gong to give this a go on some Trial Tech SL rims. Had quick google and found a guy on the net who has managed it with these particular rims as I was initially questioning whether it would be possible with the rectangular stamped holes.

Interestingly this guy used some laminate flooring underlay foam to fill the dip in the centre of the rim and then used the gorilla tape over the top to build up the height to help with getting air in to the tyre initially - might be worth knowing if you're trying a conversion with more conventional trials orientated rims. Link here.

When I get round to it, process is likely to be:

• existing rim tape, I just use a single wrap of aluminium foil tape - looks quite nice on the stamped rims.
  • potentially a layer of thin foam to build height - going to try avoid this if possible but looks like it might be necessary.  
  • 20" tube cut down the middle and stretched over the rim in order to make a tubular setup similar to Ali's, also take care of the valve. 
  • DIY "huck-norris" made from a 15mm thick closed cell yoga matt (less than a tenner from eBay).
  • toss in some sealant.
  • cross fingers.
  • attempt to seat tyre with track pump.
  • swear, a lot.
  • accept failure and go back to tubes. 

Please let us know how it goes!  I am building a 24" pure shortly and was thinking of giving this a go, but was worried about how it would work with the Trialtech rims.  

2 hours ago, cwtrials said:

Please let us know how it goes!  I am building a 24" pure shortly and was thinking of giving this a go, but was worried about how it would work with the Trialtech rims.  

Yeah sure, I'll get some pictures as well.

I've been having a bit of think about some other possible ways of doing it after reading a few posts about people going tubeless on fat bike wheels. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 28/02/2017 at 5:55 PM, jeff costello said:

is Schwabble Doc Blue tyre sealant as good as Stan's? 

i could get stan's, but the Schwalbe stuff is easier/cheaper to order here.

so, tubeless stuff ordered. will try it soon.

ghetto tubeless- split tube with overlap glued to tyre. no foam. Schwabble doc blue liquid. very excited.

f**k. probably not going to work. the eagle claw sits way too loose on my jitsie rim to get it inflated.

there are also two or so kinks in the bead that don't help at all.

edit: now that was a spectacularly annoying mess. in a last ditch effort to get that f**ker to seal i glued the split tube overlap to the tyre and added the tubeless liquid... i'm not trying that again any time soon.

Edited by jeff costello

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi,

would like to know if some of you are riding tubeless with low pressure. For example around 1.8bar - 25psi (I know Ali C. is riding tubeless but also something like 3,5bar).

Do you use some foam?

Do your tyres loose pressure on some tricks?

I envisage to ride tubeless because I want to improve my gap skills and currently I repair my tube once a week.... Years ago I tried tubeless in enduro/DH and was not really convinced.

What rim and tire are you running? I'm still using tubes, but I've only lost one in the last year. I've got a Hashtagg 48mm rim and Jitse reverz tire. The new bike has 46mm wide carbon rims and the crap V rubber Carthy tire on the rear and it's bottomed out many times so far with no punctures. I'm 81kg and run around 20 psi.