21 just got my first trials bike

Tvaneijk

I picked up an inspire hex 2012 with a hope trial tech front brake and a hs33 rear just wondering where I should start with tricks and weather or not I should ditch the 8speed setup that is on there now and go to single speed the bike came with a proper Crankset and single speed kit just needs a chain tensioner running a 22 up front on saint cranks with a 28 to 11 cassette the rim is brand new on the back I sanded it down but I'm guessing a grind is the way to go? 

Having lots of fun with back wheel hops but I am having a hard time with pedal kicks I can only move about 1 foot at a time if I'm lucky. Just wanted to say hi and see if anyone else has any good beginner advice 

1488492952023-872040487.jpg

On 02/03/2017 at 10:25 PM, Tvaneijk said:

I picked up an inspire hex 2012 with a hope trial tech front brake and a hs33 rear just wondering where I should start with tricks and weather or not I should ditch the 8speed setup that is on there now and go to single speed the bike came with a proper Crankset and single speed kit just needs a chain tensioner running a 22 up front on saint cranks with a 28 to 11 cassette the rim is brand new on the back I sanded it down but I'm guessing a grind is the way to go? 

Having lots of fun with back wheel hops but I am having a hard time with pedal kicks I can only move about 1 foot at a time if I'm lucky. Just wanted to say hi and see if anyone else has any good beginner advice 

1488492952023-872040487.jpg

I'd convert it back to a single speed, with the correct 26 ratio (which is usually 18:15, with a 22t sprocket I think it's 18t on the back? Someone correct me) grind works better in all conditions, if it's dry you could get some tar on there. Check the pads, they might be super dirty. 

I'd start with the basics for trials. I'd say focus on getting up small objects- rolling first, then static, using different techniques.  Trashzen.com will teach you everything! I started with just back hops and pedal kicks and realised I couldn't get up anything, haha. If you keep at it it'll all come and you'll get really good.

Edited by Herbertlemon102
  • Like 1

look at getting a bashguard and investing in a rear wheel with a better hub, or a fixed hub with a screw on freewheel, i'd guess with that having an 8 speed casette you have a fairly generic mtb hub in there and it won't perform or withstand the love you are gonna show it doing trials. mr lemon is right you want to get on an 18t sprocket for the back end for a proper ratio for trials.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, for a first trial bike you got a pretty nice one! I and my buddy are beginners too.Last week he was practicing some bunnyhops and ended up falling from a fence and thank god he was wearing a helmet!So i highly recommend you getting proper protective gear.I came across an article about choosing a helmet http://bestadviser.net/reviews/features/properly-chosen-helmet-halfway-to-a-safe-ride/ and if you found this article useful - pm me and I will share some more.