Rims for 26"

plainlazy84

I'm after recommendations for new 26" rims, front and rear. It's for a planet X Zebdi and I'm riding street these days, although nothing big. 

I'm running HS33s front and rear so disc only is not an option. The current setup being replaced is Mavic D521 rear (590g) and X517 front (400g), guessing these aren't available from new anymore though!

It would be nice to get something comparable weight wise to the Mavics, but I don't mind going a bit heavier if needs be, particularly up front for some added beef. 

Any suggestions or is it slim pickings on 26" these days? Most of what I've seen is the drilled, wider trials specific rims on Tartybikes, although not too sure which of these would be best suited having only been on MTB rims before. 

• Like 1

Same, got a Zebdi coming this week :) Mk5?

You can still get D521s, they're just called EX721s, same rim different sticker. The DMR backline is good for the rear, 35mm wide and not stupidly heavy and it's basically the same depth and shape as a D521 so you can use the same spokes, but they're really hard to find now. Same goes for the old Spank stiffy, 40mm and a braking surface (later one is disc only).

• Like 1

Thanks Leon, would be good to stick with parts from or closer to that era. Have never gone wrong with Mavics, main reason for new wheels would be to get a hope pro 4 trials hub and going single speed. I've found EX721s online for £50 although no longer available from the big retailers like chainreaction or Evans. 

Do Mavic produce an equivalent to the F519? (think this was it, "freeride" rim in between d521 and x519 weight wise) as this would be good alternative up front.

Yeah that's it with Jamaican paint job. Good choice of frame must be relatively rare these days i would have thought. 

58793a7d15c8e_Planetxzebdi2016-12-31v1comp.jpg.fcf74d26f7c48b4bae0e84ee84a99afb.jpg

• Like 5

That looks too good lol. Just like my old Jamaican one.

I had an F519 too, problem is the mountain bike world doesn't use rim brakes anymore and Mavic never catered for trials riders. So most rims now are disc only. A D321 with a braking surface would be a dream. 

Dmr dee vee is not a bad rim at 32mm. It'll pretty much take the same spokes as a 521 too, and it's way easier to find than a Backline. 

You're probably best trying to find a new old stock Mavic. Brave machine and fire eye did some decent rims too if you can find any.