Long chain stays and a seat thread

Davetrials

Im feeling nostalgic, now that i own a bike with a seat again, so heres my little tribute to some of the more handsome bikes from the past, they didn't always ride very well, but they looked lovely. 

Dimond back racing, never actually saw one of these in the flesh, looked amazing with the hot S though

DBRBike2.jpg

Brisa B26D easily one of the heaviest worst riding bikes i've ever owed, but they were beautiful so its okay..

AUT_7423.jpg

Orange Zero, what a hero. when trials was on the verge of getting taken seriously by the mountain bike industry orange dipped their toe in the water, then the french changed everything. bloody Koxx

zero.jpg

• Like 5

Not my bike here but does anyone remember the sunn trials bike? Ed tongue was riding it before the pashley was born, there is an issue of mbuk with him doing an endo on the front and looking down at the camera, great intro article on the pashley in that one, I wish I could find a copy 

on the plus side, I have a sunn trials frame hanging up in my man cave 

image.jpeg

image.png

image.png

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/03/2017 at 4:11 PM, Davetrials said:

Dimond back racing, never actually saw one of these in the flesh, looked amazing with the hot S though

DBRBike2.jpg

They were great to ride, and not all that dissimilar geometry-wise to the Vario - probably not surprising since Tibo was involved with both. Some of the Liverpool riders had them.

On 17/03/2017 at 1:52 AM, Cyder man said:

Not my bike here but does anyone remember the sunn trials bike? Ed tongue was riding it before the pashley was born, there is an issue of mbuk with him doing an endo on the front and looking down at the camera, great intro article on the pashley in that one, I wish I could find a copy 

I got a detention at school for sneaking out to buy that issue! They rode with the Sunn forks with the strange dropouts like in your second pic there - I have a couple of pairs of those forks somewhere. They were spec'd on the BMix bikes that Sunn produced.

On 16/03/2017 at 4:19 PM, Davetrials said:

Pace RC250T

pacebuildup.jpg

Those chainstays aren't too long! I have one of Akrigg's old Pace frames (I bought it from Danny Holroyd about 13 years ago!) which I'd like to repair (cracked weld on the downtube) and build up as an Akrigg replica, but where the hell to find a set of Pace trials forks...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, old boy chez said:

I think I can chuck my hat in the ring on this one . All ways wanted one and was lucky to get one of the low'ish numbers at 39. Needs a bit of work but some thing to do I guess . 

I always thought Hawyes's one with black Fatty forks and the front of the frame black looked good:

93.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/3/2017 at 0:25 PM, Tony Harrison said:

Those chainstays aren't too long! I have one of Akrigg's old Pace frames (I bought it from Danny Holroyd about 13 years ago!) which I'd like to repair (cracked weld on the downtube) and build up as an Akrigg replica, but where the hell to find a set of Pace trials forks...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/222440559444?chn=ps&adgroupid=33676502101&rlsatarget=pla-271883447235&abcId=893836&adtype=pla&merchantid=101758731&poi=&googleloc=9045313&device=c&campaignid=707291931&crdt=0

have you spoke to waynio? maybe he has something knocking about?

12 hours ago, old boy chez said:

As far as I know only Hawyes had one in those colours, although you could pretty easily mask and paint one yourself...

1 hour ago, Davetrials said:

That's the XC fork though, but thanks for looking. Maybe I should ask Wayne - I still have a frame and fork I bought off him about 13 years ago!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davetrials said:

i had no idea there was trials specific ones?

Yes, I'm pretty sure they pre-dated the XC ones too. I think they may have made a more conventional fork later.

These ones look like 4-bolt, but then again that's Akrigg's bike so he may have had prototypes...

54.jpg

Regular ones as sold to customers:

5371624155_8a60df8d8d.jpg

• Like 1

I had some RC30s in about 2002, I had to cut them down to about 400mm as they were suspension corrected geo, too long for trials. They were really nice and light, flexed a bit, but both v bosses ended up snapping off, got them re welded but then I hit them badly on a rail and they were fatally injured. I don't think they'd enjoy today's front wheel moves.

Leon bunny hop piller.JPG

RC30_3rd_gen_front.jpg

• Like 1

There were these trials specific ones which went with the Pace RC250-T and its integrated headset. At 420mm they were too long for anything else and felt wrong.

Not sure if Akrigg ever used these late ones but Danny & Adam at Trialskings had them, in the "Korn" video.

large.gallery_303_40_1086358336.jpg.9fb4c19817a7ef8e58964d4e8a6b9df1.jpg

Edited by LEON
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Tony Harrison said:

As far as I know only Hawyes had one in those colours, although you could pretty easily mask and paint one yourself...

Black would be easier to do but I could not bring my self to spray the frame .the forks I can sacrifice. So I think I'll try and match the fattest in to the purple 

12 hours ago, LEON said:

There were these trials specific ones which went with the Pace RC250-T and its integrated headset. At 420mm they were too long for anything else and felt wrong.

Not sure if Akrigg ever used these late ones but Danny & Adam at Trialskings had them, in the "Korn" video.

large.gallery_303_40_1086358336.jpg.9fb4c19817a7ef8e58964d4e8a6b9df1.jpg

good golly gosh, that is handsome, sack off that ridiculous bar and stem and ill ride that today.