Long chain stays and a seat thread

Davetrials

I had a hunt through some old folders and found a picture of the Giant frame/forks I have, which came from Martin Hawyes. One of two (or maybe three) given to him by Giant, I think the blue was team only and not available to the public. The other picture is of Martin's bike at the Bike Show 2004. I did build mine up a few years later, around 2008, and it rode ok but not quite as refined as the early Ashton frame (chainstays were too long!!).

(I remember asking Martin about the new frame at a BIU round he was riding it in, I think it was Addingham Moorside also in 2004, and him lamenting the fact that Giant hadn't fitted 4-bolt brake mounts - "The stupidest thing you've ever heard" I think were his words : )

giant-1.jpg

giant-2.jpg

• Like 4

On 4/7/2017 at 4:53 PM, Tony Harrison said:

(I remember asking Martin about the new frame at a BIU round he was riding it in, I think it was Addingham Moorside also in 2004, and him lamenting the fact that Giant hadn't fitted 4-bolt brake mounts - "The stupidest thing you've ever heard" I think were his words : )

Worlds at addingham were 2005, "I woz thair" & I do believe I still have the program somewhere. I distinctly remember watching him on the diamondback, going round with Mr. Ashton on the silver frame with red forks, with Chris Akrigg in tow on the 'mongoose' (in reality a painted and stickered up megamo) :looks at MBUK poster of him on the giants causeway hanging on the wall to concour:

I also recall the section over the other side of the hill (furthest away from the road) involved a severe 15+ft. drop to flat/scrappy rock and the other ashton team rider (The name of the rider escapes me) had his rear brake slip at the top resulting in him bailing out onto his lower back. The section must have been set out to get rider's to go Fuuuuuuuk that! & take 5's but in 20/20 hindsight it was just dangerous. The rider got up and limped away with help but only after a fairly tense 10mins with the 1st aiders and the spinal board.

Edited by CC12345678910

On 08/04/2017 at 8:59 PM, Ross McArthur said:

Gavin Bedford or Kurt Brain?

On 08/04/2017 at 8:35 PM, CC12345678910 said:

Worlds at addingham were 2005, "I woz thair" & I do believe I still have the program somewhere. I distinctly remember watching him on the diamondback, going round with Mr. Ashton on the silver frame with red forks, with Chris Akrigg in tow on the 'mongoose' (in reality a painted and stickered up megamo) :looks at MBUK poster of him on the giants causeway hanging on the wall to concour:

I also recall the section over the other side of the hill (furthest away from the road) involved a severe 15+ft. drop to flat/scrappy rock and the other ashton team rider (The name of the rider escapes me) had his rear brake slip at the top resulting in him bailing out onto his lower back. The section must have been set out to get rider's to go Fuuuuuuuk that! & take 5's but in 20/20 hindsight it was just dangerous. The rider got up and limped away with help but only after a fairly tense 10mins with the 1st aiders and the spinal board.

It was Gav, I was there that weekend with him. 

On 08/04/2017 at 8:35 PM, CC12345678910 said:

It wasn't the worlds, it was a national round in 2004. I also went to that world round at Addingham the following year, I think Gav was riding at both those events. I remember talking to him about the newer geometry frames at the world round and it convinced me to buy one.

Good days for sure.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/03/2017 at 9:19 AM, Davetrials said:

Pace RC250T

pacebuildup.jpg

One of my old RC250 frames. Bouthe died sadly. This one was red but stripped it after I had the chainstay re welded. 

A few of my ‘project’ bikes in the making. Got enough parts to build 2 of the up now. I’ll get some proper pictures posted when I do. 

67D4C423-B416-410F-A668-901282F24E54.jpeg

C1086739-A017-4F8C-B104-96A50693D54F.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/06/2019 at 8:47 AM, grant wildman said:

One of my old RC250 frames. Bouthe died sadly. This one was red but stripped it after I had the chainstay re welded. 

A few of my ‘project’ bikes in the making. Got enough parts to build 2 of the up now. I’ll get some proper pictures posted when I do. 

67D4C423-B416-410F-A668-901282F24E54.jpeg

C1086739-A017-4F8C-B104-96A50693D54F.jpeg

Orange Zero! :wub: