Inside Jack Carthy

Luke Rainbird

I'm reluctant to post my reply as it'll make me seem negative when in actual fact I like Jack and his riding is obviously good (plus glass houses and throwing stones etc) but I feel the tone was a bit weird. (plus the name of the video has plenty of innuendo)

Starting with Mohamed Ali quotes was a bit on the pretentious side personally...I feel his manager/trainer had a lot to do with this video rather than Jack and he does come across as a stereotypical personal trainer, loud and boastful. I've met a load like him and they do wind me up a little...on the other hand I've never met him so who am I to judge?

I'd personally rather see a really high riding edit from Jack in the streets or at least somewhere impressive and relate-able, everyone knows how big phone boxes and other street stuff is, less so rocks and logs. Maybe comp guys like the gym training side of things but outside them it's pretty skippable material. With Jack's skills he could link up the most amazing street lines and really blow some minds...I'm crossing my fingers the second part is less of his trainer/manager trying to sell Jack to the world and more Jack's riding doing it for him.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Ali C said:

i turned the video off halfway. didn't want to sit through a second scene of someone talking in a car. was already pissed off that i had to watch 5min of bragging quotes and fitness center at the beginning.

edit: sorry wrongly quoted you ali, can't remove it anymore. hashtagg were the ones with the shitty names

Edited by jeff costello

I've known jack for ages, ridden with him numerous times and can't help but think this has made him look a bit of a tool. The Muhammad Ali stuff is very pretentious. He is without a doubt in the top 3 riders on the planet, but this video is a bit "ooh look at me". Trials riders want to see riding videos. As mentioned above, this isn't marketed at us at all. It's a sponsors/promo video designed to get him publicity. Its very "French" to me. Apologies if it offends you Jack, that's just my opinion of it

Edited by bing

15 hours ago, Ali C said:

I'm reluctant to post my reply as it'll make me seem negative when in actual fact I like Jack and his riding is obviously good (plus glass houses and throwing stones etc) but I feel the tone was a bit weird. (plus the name of the video has plenty of innuendo)

Starting with Mohamed Ali quotes was a bit on the pretentious side personally...I feel his manager/trainer had a lot to do with this video rather than Jack and he does come across as a stereotypical personal trainer, loud and boastful. I've met a load like him and they do wind me up a little...on the other hand I've never met him so who am I to judge?

I'd personally rather see a really high riding edit from Jack in the streets or at least somewhere impressive and relate-able, everyone knows how big phone boxes and other street stuff is, less so rocks and logs. Maybe comp guys like the gym training side of things but outside them it's pretty skippable material. With Jack's skills he could link up the most amazing street lines and really blow some minds...I'm crossing my fingers the second part is less of his trainer/manager trying to sell Jack to the world and more Jack's riding doing it for him.

Typical Ali c reply! 

14 hours ago, Ali C said:

that line was cool, Adam Wilson did something on that rock back in 2002ish, nice to see it's still providing the style 15 years later :P

click me

This video made everything all ok... Beyond, best repost I've seen all year.

edit: just watched main thread video.  I'm not a fan of what competitive trials has become however he can "ride" a pogo like a motherffff.... works his asss off too, I hope he wins this year, best of luck.

Edited by AndyT
  • Like 2

On 26/04/2017 at 2:50 PM, bikeperson45 said:

I know! Thought out, offered ideas for improvements based on years of experience in the trials world and came across as constructive rather than just being a pain - who does he think he is?

Typical bloody Ali C!

Since when did Ali have a keyboard up his arse? You've done well to write that short paragraph up there!

ill give you that pal.