• Labour
    • Liberal Democrat
    • UKIP
    • SNP
    • Green
    • Other
    • I won't be voting

12 hours ago, manuel said:

Erm. You vote for your local MP. Voting that way IS the way everyone should vote. Someone to represent you and your local area in parliament? 

In local elections, yeah. I still don't think you should be voting for the person though.

Do I like Corbyn? As a person, yes, as a leader, probably not. Do I agree with his points more than any of the other parties? Yes.

I'm voting Labour because of the policies, not because I think Corbyn is a great guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadManMike said:

I'm voting Labour because of the policies

How do you rate their chances of actually delivering them?

The only people that seem to be being vocal about this election are Labour supporters.  

• Like 1

Their policies do seem good but as you say i don't see how they are going to pay for them. They say they will pay for it with corporation tax.  Not really what we want to be doing post Brexit.  We need to attract companies here.

I don't really agree with the whole free tuition fee thing for 2 reasons: 

1) Ive nearly paid mine off
2) I think you'll just end up with people going to university who don't want to be there just because they can't be arsed to get a job

Conservatives on the other hand don't seem to really have any policies.

• Like 1

It's all a bit of a clusterf*ck really. Of the two most viable options, neither is really putting forward a particularly viable "solution".

Labour are writing a lot of cheques that they can't cash, but then the Tories haven't really costed anything at all in the grand scheme of things. The former certainly seem to be doing everything they can to crush any incentive to push things forward, with punitive taxes left right and centre mind. Tax the "rich" (surprisingly the thresholds are not so high as people seem to think) and they'll start putting considerably more money/effort into taking their money elsewhere, risking having even less funding than at present for the numerous schemes they're hoping to bring in.

On that note, worth reiterating that 2359 tonight is the last chance to register for those that wish to do so. 
Get on over to https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote and register. Even if you're on the fence, it's better to have done it and not vote, than to want to vote but not have registered.

https://voteforpolicies.org.uk/ are currently updating things to reflect the current situation - if you want a bit of clarification on who best represents your personal views and not just who can buy the media or shout the loudest, it's a pretty good tool, though as usual do your due dil and fact check/do some extra reading too (Y)

15 minutes ago, dann2707 said:

The area around me are all conservatives because it's posh as foook but I don't know. 

That's one issue for me... I voted Conservative at the last election because David Cameron seemed less of a tool than Ed Miliband but now the Conservatives seem to be a bunch of complete c**ts and May looks like a witch. I kinda like Jeremy Corbyn but our area is very strong Conservative so to be honest there's very little point voting anyway! I think at the last election Conservatives got like 30,000 votes to 9,000 odd for Lib Dems who came 2nd (I think). It just all seems like a massive mess to me!

• Like 2

That's probably an extra reason to vote then Dave - if everyone thinks "I can't make a difference" then nobody does, and you never know whether there might be a bigger turn-out this time round.  It seems there are more disaffected people out there who might want their voice heard.

The thing with politics in the UK now is that I can't see any party other than the Conservatives winning a majority again.  They've got the votes locked in of one of the largest, most consistent voting blocs (and are now being bolstered by the UKIP vote too, having swung into "UKIP Lite" mode), so essentially it seems that the role of other parties is now just to dilute their power.  That's one of the reasons that this whole "Corbyn is unelectable" thing doesn't make sense to me.

It seems that the Tories are still destroying things primarily for their own gain, and that's the thing that needs to be stopped IMO.  The shit they've pulled with the NHS is unreal, their bullshit over rail privatisation is ridiculous (so a nationalised railway in the UK can't work but we're happy to sell our railways off to national rail services from other countries who then syphon off the profits while we help fund the investment needed in the infrastructure?), the deals they're striking with China for things like nuclear power are total dick, their austerity measures were proven not to work in other countries that tried them and still don't in ours, their funding c**ts are f**king up schools all around the UK, wage regression, massaging unemployment statistics with the continuation of shit zero hours contracts and unpaid work through DWP schemes, etc...  Nothing "positive" they're doing makes a dent in all that shit for me.

Sadly though, I see it being another hefty majority for them so it'll be fun seeing where that leads.  It'd be nice if we had any idea, but bearing in mind the specatular U-turns May has made since she took power (e.g. the fact we're having another shitty election in the first place) f**k knows what will actually happen - especially with the way that Cameron and Co. made their pre-election promises before and said "If we don't uphold these then kick us out", but then deleted all record of that from their website...  I get that no party fully upholds what they say they'll do, but they've got to be one of the most duplicitous parties out there.  Their "We're standing up for workers rights" thing is a case in point - the introduction of a 4-figure sum to hold a tribunal to uphold your rights has meant a massive drop in the amount of people trying to take things to employment tribunals, and I highly doubt that's because companies have suddenly started playing nicely.  It's like all the working class voters in America who voted for Trump now finding out that they're about to be f**ked over because he didn't care about them, just about their votes.

EDIT:  People saying they're voting Conservative due to how they'll handle the Brexit process seems mental too.  Leaders from various countries of the now-EU27 have said that they don't know why May, Johnson and David Davis keep saying things that are patently untrue, and it sounds like they're not particularly hopeful that anything much will be resolved when they do all sit down at the negotiating table.  That's not a problem for the EU27, but it very much is for us.  Similarly, the idea of this election giving May a mandate to do whatever she wants in the Brexit process and have a stronger bargaining position doesn't really make sense either - just ask Alexis Tspiras, Yanis Varoufakis and Syriza.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark W said:

That's probably an extra reason to vote then Dave - if everyone thinks "I can't make a difference" then nobody does, and you never know whether there might be a bigger turn-out this time round.  It seems there are more disaffected people out there who might want their voice heard.

Yeah, that's the conclusion I've come to. Even if the Conservatives still win my seat if the majority is reduced and the gap is closed then it can only be a good thing.

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 11:25 PM, Jolfa said:

You sound like a moody toddler on the matter, not voting just to defy the authorities :lol:

Yeah, probably not far from truth.

I grew up in the rave scene in the 90's, free parties, criminal justice bill, all that.

I have a healthy disrespect for authority, but i'm not a willy, or a criminal or anything like that.

Interesting how rapidly i was shut down on that one..I have a few friends who are in living situations (sharing, sub-let situations etc) where registering to vote is simply not an option for them, but they are no less of a contributing citizen than anyone else, and probably don't need to be criminalised for it.

Anyways, happy election everybody, I hope what happens, happens, and we all continue to ride goofy kids bikes with no seats.

I'm just reminded of the last Southpark series. To me it seems like May is in Mr Garrison's position...winning the polls but not wanting the actual job so May is now trying to make herself look as bad as possible to try and make people vote for the competition. As with Southpark, it seems the public will vote for her anyway despite all the lies, corruption, pocket lining, friend helping, NHS destroying, clueless brexit negotiating, disability benefit cutting, arms selling, data stealing and more.

I like Jeremy Corbyn, he actually seems to want to help the country rather than his rich pals. People say he's not a leader, why not? I'd never even heard of May until she was our leader and she seems to be doing a pretty shit job, she's essentially our Donald Trump/Mr Garrison.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ali C said:

I'm just reminded of the last US election. To me it seems like May is in Trump's position...winning the polls but not wanting the actual job so May is now trying to make herself look as bad as possible to try and make people vote for the competition. As with US, it seems the public will vote for her anyway despite all the lies, corruption, pocket lining, friend helping, NHS destroying, clueless brexit negotiating, disability benefit cutting, arms selling, data stealing and more..

I wont ever vote, lies on both sides, again... Therefore just as before with the brexit vote, as it is my right and choice, i choose not to vote.

If they both sat down in fron...

Wait no they'd both still lie to my face more than likely.

I actually agree with the no fee policy for students. The uk doesn't really seem to have anything else to offer except talent and expertise. We need the best education system, and educating more of our people to a very high standard (if they can be). Investing in education seems a bit of a win.

3 hours ago, Mikee said:

I think if it were free, people would just go for the "experience".

how is this in any way a bad thing? you're not getting a wage for doing nothing. as long as the state does not pay for your living, people can enjoy all the experience they want.

Edited by jeff costello

5 hours ago, jeff costello said:

how is this in any way a bad thing? you're not getting a wage for doing nothing. as long as the state does not pay for your living, people can enjoy all the experience they want.

The teachers and bills still need paying, they're not making it free by not paying the universities...

9 hours ago, jeff costello said:

University education shouldn't be just for the experience though. That only devalues the purpose of HE with thousands of people coming out after 3 years fannying around complete with a poor media studies degree and end up stacking shelves at Tesco... I think there's a distinct lack of money in the U18 education system which is shocking and apprenticeships ought to be really pushed as a direct alternative for people who may otherwise go to uni, even for more 'proper' subjects- software engineering, apprenticeships in high end engineering type firms (think Rolls-Royce, Airbus etc,) so that you don't need a degree and lose 3/4 years of your life before learning skills that are actually useful in the job.

• Like 4