• Labour
    • Liberal Democrat
    • UKIP
    • SNP
    • Green
    • Other
    • I won't be voting

:lol:

ill be honest, I wasn’t expecting may to last longer than a few days at that point... but somehow we are even more f**ked than back then! 

At least she did the only decent thing and resigned at the right point for some cheap time of year jokes.

11 hours ago, Luke Rainbird said:

I'm not too sure he's ready for Robot Wars mate.

That said, how do you think he'd score on the classic spread of SPEED, STYLE, DAMAGE AND AGGRESSION?

I'll get hold of professor Noel Sharky for the definitive answers...

• Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 5:42 PM, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

I'd quite like Boris to get it as he'll clearly do no better with this utter clusterf**k that is Brexit and so it'll be the end of his political career too... Hopefully!

I am hoping he goes to prison in his forthcoming trial. Won't happen though.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 27/05/2019 at 10:42 PM, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

I'd quite like Boris to get it as he'll clearly do no better with this utter clusterf**k that is Brexit and so it'll be the end of his political career too... Hopefully!

Well, there you go.

Might as well, none of the rest of the armchair experts are putting themselves forwards. Myself included. 

I didn’t give a f**k who won this, because ultimately everyone’s already lost. Just got a nice comfy seat to watch the world burn from now. 

True true.  When you're looking at the prospect of Jeremy Hunt running the country as being a "preferable" option  you know things have slid quite a bit.

The thing I don't really get about the whole Brexit deadline thing is that BoJo says he wants to be out on the 31st Oct come what may, even if it's a no deal.  It sounds like a majority in parliament are going to do what they can to stop him being able to push through no deal, but I don't really get how that stops it from happening?  If the default position is that at that time/date we're no longer in the EU, parliament voting to stop no deal doesn't really prevent that outcome happening.  If the inference from that is that it means he has to find an alternative, there's nothing actually saying he has to so again they could vote to stop a 'no deal' scenario but it would be worthless if that's what he wants to have happen.  Inaction is as good as action from his position.

Fun fact - it's almost five years to the day that a trio of reports pointed out that the plan for the 'Boris Island' airport was f**king stupid and would never work, although only after Boris had spent millions in planning fees.

I just really dont know what this whole situation needs. It needs someone with a strong idea and drive to just do something. Not sure BoJo is the right idea and drive, but I feel like he will actually achieve something. Guess atleast we all know where we are heading then..

He's 2nd on the annoying smug face leaderboard (Farage of course takes the victory by a country mile) and I find his clown act tiresome, but given the fact that all the options seem a bit shite at the moment, I'll reserve judgement of his work until a later date.

I do hope being PM means he can afford a haircut soon though.

The haircut is part of his act though, so that's not going anywhere.

22 hours ago, Tom Booth said:

Not sure BoJo is the right idea and drive, but I feel like he will actually achieve something.

His history doesn't really suggest that:

"Mr. Johnson’s tenure as mayor produced other costly failures, such as the “Boris bus.”  Mr. Johnson vowed to revive the classic model and even brought back onboard ticket sellers, despite warnings from transport officials that the plan was not economically viable.

Within a few years, the onboard ticket sellers were scrapped, the open-air doorways were sealed shut, and the “Boris bus” came to be known mostly for its sweaty, saunalike interior, not to mention the 300 million pounds, or about $375 million, it burned in the public purse."

--

"He also pursued a plan to build a “garden bridge” over the Thames, which ended up costing £50 million without a brick ever being laid."

--

"...then there were the three, 25-year-old German water cannons that he purchased in the name of dispelling possible rioters. He went forward with the purchases despite warnings from experts that they were ill suited for London.

Theresa May, then the home secretary, soon outlawed them, and they were finally sold last year as scrap at a £300,000 loss."

--

"“He liked to fly by the seat of his pants on things like this, and he was more than happy to bluff or lie,” said Jenny Jones, a London Assembly member... Mr. Johnson, at that time already being discussed as a future prime minister, seemed enamored of the status and power of City Hall, but “bored with the whole concept of politics and taking responsibility,” Ms. Jones said. “I wouldn’t trust him to feed my cat.”"

-- 

Things like that just don't really fill me with confidence when we're talking about something as intricate and detailed as Brexit.  He did have some success as Mayor to be fair, but still, he doesn't really seem to be the person you'd really want dealing with high level negotiations with people who already think he's a bullshitter and a liar (the same people he's already damaged relationships with during his time as foreign secretary too).

But yeah, we'll see.  We're pretty f**ked whatever happens - if they end up losing their majority through MPs resigning or defecting it'll just force a general election, and it's not like we've got any decent alternatives.  I don't see a second referendum happening, so it seems that it's either a slightly tweaked Brexit deal that we've already got on the table, or no deal.