Ring finger hurting like hell

Greetings

Completely out of the blue my ring finger started hurting today. Began underneath the first joint on the inside of the hand, then spread inwards and outwards. Now it's swollen and I can't move it or apply any pressure to close the fist. Can't even press a f**king key on the keyboard without shooting pain in the joint.

Was doing deadlifts yesterday, is it possible that the aftermath came 20 hours later?

Not even sure what to search for, any ideas? When might this go away? 

My initial thought would be tendinitis, although I would expect the symptoms to be apparent sooner than 20 hours assuming it was the deadlifts that did it.

Can only say get it looked at properly, in the mean time regular ibuprofen will help with the inflammation.

If it is tendon / tendon sheath damage I wouldn't expect it to be a quick fix unfortunately, rest seems to be the best thing.

*not a doctor, just going on my experiences of tendon injuries and tendinitis *

Ah learned something new today, tendon sheaths are also called pulleys :)

Over the years I've suffered with tendinitis in my fingers from gripping the bars too hard resulting in hands cramping into claws and general stiffness in the fingers. Unfortunately lots of rest fixes it but it's also very easy to start up again too soon and cause more damage.

If it does feel/sound like an A2 injury. Then get onto icing it asap, massively helps to reduce the swelling and encourages blood flow. One the pain and swelling have reduced, take a look into 'voodoo flossing' - sounds dodgy, but can be really effective 

Just looked up A2 injuries.

I now know why my ring finger is f**ked, but I have the feeling is will stay as it is for the rest of my life.

Fell off at a pumptrack three years ago and landed on the back of my hand but the inside started hurting. Only hurts when tapping against the spot when the finger is bent or when lifting something, but I could strike it with a hammer when stretched and it wouldn't hurt (apart from the hammer.. But you know what I mean :p), which always confused me.

Kinda got used to it over the years but I guess I'll try taping it sometime to see if it makes a difference.

• 2 weeks later...