Buying advice - wanting to get into street/trials biking

Anton9three

Hey guys!

I've been riding enduro for just about 2 Years now and Im loving it.

But since Im living in a city I also like to ride around town with my bike, doing few easy tricks and hopping around - just having fun.

I kind of want to get more "professional" with streetbiking / "line orientated trials biking" if you want to say it like that. What I mean is that I dont want to simply ride trials but also be able to be a bit more flexible...

Well anyways since I cant really aford a streetbike/trialsbike Im wondering if a dirt bike would be good for what Im trying to do. Since my mate is selling his for pretty cheap (round 250 Euros) I wanted to know your opinion on that bike. also do you think I could do a bit of trialing with this bike (maybe if I build in a different handle bar)

greetings

anton

Dirt1.jpg

Dirt2.jpg

it'll work but you'll find the geometry and weight won't support your trials agenda. whilst someone with a good grasp of trials could throw in some technical riding it would make it much harder for you to progress. the geometry of a trials frame (even something like an inspired, let alone a pure seatless affair) is quite different to a jump bike. i'd find myself letting that become an excuse to not push the trials side of riding it. however if you look at early trials footage you'd argue that that bike is way better than what the original trials guys started out with and i'm being a snob

plus you'd want to consider the cost of getting a rear hub that can hold up to trials love (pro2 or a freewheel on a threaded hub, either option can run around £100)

improving the brakes (fresh cables and new pads or rotors £50+)

the bar and stem don't look to far off what you'd want, but i'm not really down with how you set up a streety bike.

but by the time you've got it close to what you imagine you'd want you could probably be quite close to buying an inspired.

• Like 1

Like ogre said, good advice in my opinion.

I started off doing trials with a DJ bike, struggled to do much due to bike weight and geometry so bought a street trials which worked better and I could progress some. It's not impossible to pull trials stuff on a DJ bike, you can have a look at Sam pilgrim videos for that, or even trials stuff on bigger bikes like enduro, check out Danny Mac and Ali c, but you might want to do yourself a favour if you are serious about trials and get a trials bike. If you are living in a city, it's a good move to take full advantage of your area. Maybe try and arrange a go on a trials bike from someone who has one so you can see the difference it makes?

Edited by Daviesdt
Text edit

• 4 weeks later...