Stem Length & Angle - when you're straining too much

Peter Pan

Just got to share a bit of a result I've had. Just changed my 150mm x 30deg stem for one that is 127mm x 27deg. What a difference! As a noob I had no idea I was struggling with anything other than lack of technique. All that's happened is I've shortened my cockpit by an inch but in terms of my arms, I don't feel I'm overloaded and suddenly my balance is more dialled. I can still endo on demand but coming up onto the back wheel has become easier on the arms (staying there beyond four or five drunken bounces is work in progress). Side hopped onto a three pallet stack for the first time. Clearly I was stretched out too far - just an inch but enough to stop useful power being applied.

I guess what I'm saying is don't be shy of making a change if you feel your arms might be working way too hard (eg wrists or elbows feel pull-strained after a session). Start with bar rotation (cheap and easily reversible) to see how a shortened cockpit might feel then see about borrowing slightly shorter stem. 

Oh and draw out the stems on paper to see how much difference you get. The dimension and angles can be confusing but when drawn out, it is surprising how little change some combinations provide.

best of luck 

I've been thinking about this.  I have a new Echo 24 and it has the 150mm x 30° stem.  I can pedal up the front and get to hopping fairly easily, and I can get the front up to ride a wheelie (well, I wouldn't call it 'riding a wheelie' yet since I'm only good for a few feet to 10 feet), but trying to pull up the front for a bunny hop or for the beginning of the manual -- man, it feels like someone has a bungee cord holding down the front wheel!    I wouldn't mind trying a shorter stem just to 'ease' this task for practice..   Sounds like it worked for you.  

Thanks for the info. 

Right, so there isn't a rule what size stem and bars to use. It all depends on the frame length (measured as wheelbase) and the chainstay, your height, and your personal preference. Some people like long bikes while others like short bikes. 150x30 stems are sort of universal and that's why lots of people use them by default. I've used different size stems on different bikes that I've had. You just need to experiment and see what works best for you.
In general (as to my understanding) the longer chainstay you have, the more it will pull you down when staying on a back wheel. That's why you'd use a shorter stem with a lower rise angle, so you'd pull your front end higher/closer to your body and vice versa. Then rotating your bars (depending on the backsweep as well which is usually 10 degrees) will help for your balance respectively: having it vertical will help you easily pull the bike for pedal ups and bunny hops and having it rotated forward makes it more comfortable for static moves such as pedal kick, side hop, surge etc..

Hope that helps!

• Like 1