LEON

Marino Static 2017

46 posts in this topic

It's as obvious as 130 being greater than 112. Fair play though Leon, that's a decent height! Bike's looking good too - geometry looks not far off my mk1 Ashton frame, and that was hands down the most fun 26 I ever had.

Cheers, yeah everyone was on fire that day. Mark Westlake and a couple of others were taking pics, fun was had.

Never owned one of those so I can't remember the geo, but the closest thing I know of is a Pashley 26GHZ which I loved, it's old school but not too old, so it's loads of fun!

Wow, it looks wonderful. Marino has definitely improved in the past 9 years.

A video of you riding it is needed.

2 people like this

Cheers, yeah I'll dust off the Gopro soon. It's about time.

Had this nearly 3 years already, changed a lot and done my best to make it as light as possible, got the right stem on, lighter tyres. Rides so good now.

20200530_153650.thumb.jpg.310910747de168f8c9450c6265fb988a.jpg

rails.thumb.jpg.ebd7d0dfedb6041467455f26cfa579c9.jpg

7 people like this

On 30/05/2020 at 5:04 PM, LEON said:

Had this nearly 3 years already, changed a lot and done my best to make it as light as possible, got the right stem on, lighter tyres. Rides so good now.

20200530_153650.thumb.jpg.310910747de168f8c9450c6265fb988a.jpg

rails.thumb.jpg.ebd7d0dfedb6041467455f26cfa579c9.jpg

This thread makes me excited to get my own Marino custom soon. Deposit paid, just waiting for finished product ;D

2 people like this

Is that an old Larsen you had or is it bought new, recently?

14 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

Is that an old Larsen you had or is it bought new, recently?

Bought it new about 3 years ago but it's had sod all mileage, tried to buy another one this week. Didn't realise they don't exist anymore.

1 person likes this

On 01/06/2020 at 5:24 AM, justinlock said:

This thread makes me excited to get my own Marino custom soon. Deposit paid, just waiting for finished product ;D

Ditto! Ordered before lock down :( 

Not long, it'll be worth the wait B)

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 10:16 PM, LEON said:

Bought it new about 3 years ago but it's had sod all mileage, tried to buy another one this week. Didn't realise they don't exist anymore.

Yea, my favourite tyre for street! Shame I cant find any!!

1 hour ago, Ross McArthur said:

Yea, my favourite tyre for street! Shame I cant find any!!

Looks like the "Ikon" is the replacement. The closest looking thing anyway, same size, bit less tread.

I think the Crossmark Mk2 is the closest to a larsen...I'm running a pair now and I really like them 

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, Ali C said:

I think the Crossmark Mk2 is the closest to a larsen...I'm running a pair now and I really like them 

I did look the mk1 up a while back but I remember them being quite heavy, not looked up the mk2, is it a tall profile like the Larsen?

I get lost between the compounds, dual ply, single ply, folding, wire bead and varying weight claims with Maxxis so I often just give up.

Edited by LEON

No! That’s the fun part!

Rear you’re wanting a dual ply wire bead or folding 2.35 either super tacky or maxx pro depending on how comp or street you are.

Front you want a single ply folding 2.35, same applies for compound. 

I use both the ikon and the crossmark and much prefer the ikon. 

Lol, I have a single ply super tacky on the back (swapped tyres round), mainly because the dual ply weighed 4 tons, but my single ply is stretched over a 48mm rim so it's been ok so far, and it's huge.

I don't think I'll find a folding Larsen, and I do prefer 2.35 over 2.25, but it's more about the tall profile.

What pads are you running on your magura to make the smooth rim work? 

Posted (edited)

It's not strictly smooth...it has a pimply braking surface which does hold tar well but a perfectly smooth finish would actually be better. I use Koolstops in metal backings, but I just got some Plazmatics, they're really sticky but I don't know how long they'll last. The disappointing thing about the rim his how pads flex the braking surface inwards, it's quite noticeable. 

In general just use softer pads for smooth rims.

Edited by LEON

I always found Heatsink Yellows on a smooth rim to be immense but the slightest bit of moisture from dew or a puddle and it's game over

I heard that, but I also heard a few stories of the pads coming away from the backings. But yeah, when I was testing the plazmatics the other day it started to rain lightly, brake was instantly gone lol.

On 6/4/2020 at 9:33 PM, Ali C said:

I bought these, they're excellent. Feels better than a Larsen to me.

1 person likes this